Extreme Air Mail! Mailing Tube Rocket Project!

We used to belong to a few rocketry clubs up this way.........many years ago.......the only legal restriction I recall was one about vicinity to airports.

Other than that was the rinky-dink little agreements that some of the rocket sellers wanted you to sign...was that Estes or Century?
Don't know, t'was too many years ago. Certainly not legally binding, more just CYA from the companies.

Of course that was all back when rockets and engines could go thru the regular mail.

-brino

You might consider contacting Tripoli or a local club and see what they know about the legality.
Robert

Many Many years ago a guy I worked with was into the really big model rockets. There was a LDRS event in Zelienopel Pennsylvania. It was in a very large field. I went to see him launch his rocket. I saw many rockets launch. His rocket launched very similar to yours but the parachute opened before it crashed into the ground. Everyone was having a good time until one of the rockets crashed down into a near by golf course. The police showed up and shut everything down. That was the last I heard of any LDRS events in the Ohio Pennsylvania area. Now they are all out west. Great memories.

Roger L

Yikes. Being that close to others is generally not a good idea with LDRS size rockets. We are hosting the next one in Utah, on the Salt Flats. It got postponed from this year due to covid. It's a lot easier to find big open spaces out west though.

I'm considering joining a club but there are a few drawbacks from my point of view. Usually I like to go out early Sunday morning, like getting to the field around 7-8am. We launch a few rockets, learn some stuff and get home by noon to relax for the rest of the day, or maybe go for a joy ride on the way home. Very chill.

Most club launches start at noon. Also one of the local clubs says that they usually have two dozen participants at a launch. I'm kind of a "keeps to himself" type of person by nature so the idea of being in a large group is not thrilling to me. And the large group means you'd likely have to wait in line to launch your rocket. I mean it's cool to watch other ones go, but ultimately I'm there to shot my rockets, ya know?

I dunno, we'll see what happens next time. I may send some emails to some local clubs.

Back