Eye safety when I need reading glasses?

andrewgr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Is there a general preference for bi-focal safety glasses, vs. goggles that fit over your existing reading glasses? I'm predisposed towards the bi-focal safety glasses just because of comfort, but if they're a gimmick that doesn't really work, then I'd rather know up front. Also, if anyone has a particular brand or model to recommend, I'd like to know-- apparently the amount of the lens that's devoted to the reading magnification varies a bunch in between brands.

I use the bi-focal safety glasses all the time. Even at home. I have precription glasses with bi-focal and prefer to wear the safety glasses. I buy them at the local welding supply store. I usually by a couple at a time. Don't know what brand they are. I like the bigger viewing area in the bi-focal vs the ones on my prescription glasses.

D

Last edited:
I bought 2 pair of magnified safety goggles (not bifocals) at the local welding supply. They are okay, but they tend to fog up (even though they are advertised as anti-fogging).

I often have problems with fogging of lenses in safety goggles. My best solution is to use my favorite reading glasses (2.5X) and a face shield.

I have a lot of cheap reading glasses (2.25X, 2.5X, 3X and 5X). I often switch magnifications for what I am doing.

Just make sure to work with the protection of side covers and proper lenses. A lot of reading glasses can fail (e.g. shatter) in applications calling for safety goggles. Reading glasses are not safety goggles.

Last edited:
If you can use regular readers then the ones from your welding supply are definitely worth a try. My close up vision isn't anywhere close to those so I need to wear my prescription lenses which are now made from polycarbonate rather than glass.

A face-shield will protect the rest of your face as well but if you find that uncomfortable it's definitely worth a visit to the eye doctor to get exactly what you need. There's nothing as valuable as your sight IMHO.

John

Reactions: tjb
I have two or three pair in my shop that I use regularly. I also have some larger non-magnifying goggles that in the past I used over my reading glasses. Haven't had them on since I got the bifocal type. Can't help you on brand other than to say get what fits you best. I find myself usually grabbing one pair most of the time because of the fit, but I'm sure that would vary by user.

Regards

I used a face shield until I found magnifying safety glasses like those in David's post above. If your glasses are prescription then the face shield is your better option. I prefer the safety glasses but don't mind using the face shield at all, except in cold weather when it can fog up. I've even forgotten I was wearing it at times which can be amusing when you try to scratch an itch or wipe sweat from your face.

I also tried goggles over the glasses but they did make my glasses fog up, and I find them uncomfortable and awkward.

I could not use the bi-focal safety glasses because I'd be trying to put them upside down working on many things. I'm often working on stuff from all angles. I found full magnifiers were the best. I usually have that "distant stare" if I'm not focused on something anyhow so I wear them all day. I was using regular readers as "safety glasses" until a few months ago when I tried my own impact test on what I ASSUMED would be made of a polycarbonate anyhow. Test proved I was very wrong. I have since ordered the ones below off Amazon. Very happy with them.
Elvex RX-500C Full Lens Magnifier, Black Frame/Grey Temple Tips (3 Pair) (2.5 Lens)

I dislike bi-focals too, and have found these to my liking.

My distance vision suffers when wearing them of course, but that's not what I need them for. They come in different diopters than my link also.

Back