Face mill recommendations?

davidpbest

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm considering the 2.5" HS6NP as well on a Bridgeport. What insert type are you using most? I'd like to avoid stocking many types. I'll mostly be using this for squaring stock and finish passes. I usually work with mild steels like 1018 or 304 stainless and aluminum. I was considering the polished HN25 even though it's speced for aluminum. I figured the low hours I put on the tool would likely have them hold up well.

Does the tool come with insert screws? I see HAAS sells them.
Yes, the Haas face mills come with insert screws. I would not recommend using the inserts designated for aluminum on 304. 304 is a difficult material to begin with because it's so sticky and will work harden if you don't take aggressive enough cuts.

Here is a video of the 2" face mill with rectangular inserts cutting 304 stainless using the HMP20 inserts designated for stainless. RPM is 625, DOC is .187", WOC is 3/8". Feed rates increase during the cut from 3 to 6 to 9, then 12 inches/minute. Best results were at 12 IPM, but at this DOC and WOC, it was pushing the rigidity limits of my PM-935.

https://flic.kr/p/2kBtvoF

Ianagos

Active User
Registered
The haas face mills were great for $99 for the whole kit which a lot of us got them for.

For a low budget I still recommend a facemill from maritool as the inserts are a standard size and can be obtained from China for cheap. The haas facemills have nice thick inserts but I’ll tell you I’ve never broken an insert on one of the smaller I’ve only chipped the edge which I’ve also done on the haas facemill.

The haas tools are just more expensive to run but not bad tools at all. They are also imported from China.

In my opinion the haas tooling are really meant for a large cnc. Here is a short video using haas recommended speeds and feeds. This is pushing about 10hp in spindle load on a 22hp machine with a 2:1 gearbox. That was really a light cut for what these tools are meant for I could easily take the same cut with a apkt facemill and appropriate inserts.

2” rectangular insert facemill

Edit if anybody needs some apkt face I’ll inserts for aluminum pm me. I can get you guys some lightly used name brand ones (we replace them early at a company I do work for)

macmccaskie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The haas face mills were great for $99 for the whole kit which a lot of us got them for.

For a low budget I still recommend a facemill from maritool as the inserts are a standard size and can be obtained from China for cheap. The haas facemills have nice thick inserts but I’ll tell you I’ve never broken an insert on one of the smaller I’ve only chipped the edge which I’ve also done on the haas facemill.

Thanks, you just saved me some cash. I really was hesitant to go HAAS because they didn't really mention much about home shop machines much less cater to them - I don't blame them - there will be better business doing what they already do. The other brands I checked were either WAY expensive or looked "import knock-off" with no mention of feeds and speeds, at least the MariTool professes precision and the mill heads are branded - and appear to have versions and documentation.

If I came along at the right time to get the kit for $100 bucks I might be more inclined to take the risk. FWIW: my cursory search for (steel) inserts didn't turn up anything exciting, except one guy sell used ones 8-0

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock