Face Mill Safety and Use: Help Request

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The question: how do I safely and effectively choose and use a face mill?
This includes diameter for general purpose work on steel and aluminum, as well as speed and feed selection.
I've been looking for a primer. Haven't found one yet...
Does anyone have suggestions, directions or formulas?
Do I just use the end mill speed and feed formulas?

Background Information: I've been using a HSS fly cutter with a collet system and a 1hp motor on a Cincy 1B.
She's replaced by a Cincy 1D with a 2hp with a Xaxis powerfeed and a 40NMTB arbor.
I believe I can now safely and effectively move to a face mill.
I've had some 4inch carbide insert face mill on the shelf for a few years but would need to add a 40NMTB arbor (anybody got an extra?).

I've read in some other threads that 3inch face mill is a general purpose max for a 2hp. Minimum spindle speed is 170rpm on my 1D.

Does anyone have suggestions, directions or formulas?

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

How many inserts does your 4" cutter have, Daryl? More inserts equals more power required. If the insert count is even, you can remove half of the inserts and get more depth of cut (or more speed) if necessary. A formula is not really necessary. Start with a shallow cut and work up to what it can do. It will let you know when it is getting unhappy. Use enough rpm to get color to the chips if cutting steel. Start slow and light and work up to what works best for you.

...A formula is not really necessary. ... It will let you know when it is getting unhappy. ...Start slow and light and work up to what works best for you.
That all makes sense. Similar to how I've been using other cutters on the lathe, mill, shaper. Listening to the machine tool is really the same as listening to a truck with manual transmission.

Thanks.
Daryl
MN

If you going to buy a face mill, I'd stay away from those that use the TPG/TPU series of inserts, they are meant to be lathe inserts, lot of chatter, rough cuts and are rough on the spindle bearings, lots of head vibrations. I got smoother operation and better cuts wiin a fly cutter.

I have a Grizzly, that uses the TPG/TPU inserts, bought without any research, now I use a Walter F4041 cutter, the difference is night and day.

Last edited by a moderator:
True that TPG inserts were made for the lathe. The evolution of the face mill in midstream, the TP_ style inserts started showing up in face mills. Not as popular today but still out there and preferred by many. Have two that I use from time to time. Yeah, they are a little rough on a Bridgeport style mill head, but what face mill is not. Wait until you try a APKT style insert face mill! It even worse! If you have a good heavy mill, no problem.
Look for a high shear insert face mill that takes an insert like a SEKN or SEEN or SENN style. I have one for my mill and I'll usually use it before I will the face mill with the TPG inserts.
People also have to think about insert geometry that is used on a mill. You generally try to use a insert that is "flatten" on bottom that acts as an 'wiper' insert. Like on a TPG insert a 321 is going to leave a rough finish and the edge will burn up quicker, where if you use a 323 or 324 insert, you will get a nicer finish and longer insert life. The number 3 or 4 tip radius will improve finish and act like a wiper. Still hard on your mill when taking deep cuts. You also need to run your face mill in the 600-900 SFM speed range. And feed the face mill as hard as you can. Slow feed is going to burn up your inserts in a heart beat! On my mill 'wide open" on the spindle motor, which is about 1100-1200 RPM on a 2-1/2" facemill. Cut dry and place face shields around the part to contain most of the shavings coming off! They pile up quick, too!
If you are wanting to put a 4" or bigger face mill on a big mill like a No. 2 or 3 or bigger K & T or Cincinnati mill, and have the money to spend, look into the Ingersoll or Iscar face mill they have to offer. We had a 4" face mill back home that used a high shear square style insert the we got great results with. But we had a big heavy mill and HP that would take it and keep on ticking! Ken

...................................., now I use a Walter F4041 cutter, the difference is night and day.
Jack,

Can you provide us with a reference to the Walter face mill you use?

I use a 2" (a nice size for small mills) Walter F4041UB051Z04 13, that uses 4, of the substantial LNGX 13070R-L55 insert (with 4 separate cutting edges, per insert).

I miss f I had a larger mill, at this time, I'm limited to 1-1/2 hp,on a couple of smaller mills, If Imhad a larger mill, I'd probably go with a 3" or 3-1/2" cutter. The inserts cut very well and there seems to be almost no "hammering" in the head during operation, a lot easier on the spindle bearings.

r8 stuff 002x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of marketing competition for these heads....
Can anyone identify the inserts on these Facemills? Are these inserts styles to stay away from?

http://www.hoffonlineauctions.net/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?hoff7/128/showall

I can run down there next week.
Some appear to be new others, perhaps scrap on account of the trauma to the support surface behind the inserts.
These auctions often run up $$ in the last few moments of the online process.
I'd still need a 40NMTB arbor....

Daryl
MN

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but they look like either a APMT or APKT, by shape, but can't tell the size

Back