Face mill Speed question

Armourer

Registered
Registered
I got a 2.5" Face mill with my mill thats got 4 carbide inserts on it and I can't seem to get this thing to cut well. What is the proper RPM I should be spinning this thing? I have tried running it at around 450 RPM but it just seems to make a lot of noise and spits out tiny little chips, almost like grinding dust.

Pics and full description? Wrong inserts? What are you trying to cut, and how deep per pass?

I will try and get some pics tonight after I get two kids to bed! Its a Kennametal face mill, and I am cutting mild steel with it, and as far as the inserts go I have no idea! I just used what was in it.

I got a 2.5" Face mill with my mill thats got 4 carbide inserts on it and I can't seem to get this thing to cut well. What is the proper RPM I should be spinning this thing? I have tried running it at around 450 RPM but it just seems to make a lot of noise and spits out tiny little chips, almost like grinding dust.

What material?
What mill?

I would turn the rpms down to 250 and take off at least .020". Also try to orient the tool so that as many cutters are engaged in the material as possible.

Amouror I am having similar issues as you are experiencing I have a 2 inch cutter with 4x inserts in it and I was trying to face a piece of steel 30 x 50 mm ,what I learnt straight up was mill scale will destroy the inserts pretty much straight away on a light cut ,Also yes I had my rpm speed up to fast . I need to do some more playing around to get it sorted and cutting better but that's another day it was just a heat of the moment try out .Also your mill needs to be well trammed in with bigger diameter cutters as it will show up easy if it's not trammed in on a face cut .I do hope I have some success in getting this to work as it would be a handy tool for various jobs .
I'll be watching this thread for good advice from some of the Gurus

Are you sure that you have the correct inserts in it? Possibly negative rake when the cutter is made for positive? The speed that you are using may be just a little too fast for steel, but you are in the neighborhood of around 250 FPM. It does matter what machine you have, so far as feed and depth of cut are concerned.

Back