Face milling tooling for a horizontal mill

Have you considered a fly cutter?
If this question is for me, then no, I haven't. What would be cases that fly cutter be used in a horizontal mill? When the size too big to have a big cutter? I thought about that before, meaning does it have to go one pass. Would multiple passes like mowing grass produce a decent surface?

On my horizontal mill the previous guy too a 25lb cast iron wieght lifting weight and made it into a 12" flycutter plate. Perfect for surfacing large work! (the table is only 8 X 22, but it has 16" vertical travel, so: small, but mighty).

Sorry, I digress. If you take multiple passes with a fly cutter there will always be a ridge somewhere between the passes, because alignment is nearly impossible to get perfect. You can always do a final pass of lapping on 400 then 600 grit sandpaper on a flat surface to remove the proud ridge(s)...

I ended up went with Ntmb40 to Er33.
I somehow forgot this thread, and searched the web for decision to go betwern er40 or er32. Many said they were happy with er32. I ordered it due to much lower price and more availability (in my impression, not sure correct). Then found out that er32 is a bit small. It was a bit too late, and I would have considered er40 if reading this thread (how irony for me)

Maybe I will waiy for a deal with er40, and get it so I have both, or maybe just wait to see the limit of er32 would cause problem for me.

I went er40 from the outset, but I needed to hold 1" shank tools, so it was a no-brainer.

A big flycutter or facemill is tough on er40 collets. Just my experience
They work great.for other tooling though

I looked up some face mills on ebay and got hit with unfamiliarity with names and numbers.
I searched and still couldn't find much info. So I had to guess, and here's what I am guessing so far. For an item description "NT40-FMB22 FOR EMR5R-50-22 5R-63-22 BAP400R-50-22 /- 63-22 RAP400R-50/63-22",

NT40 is just similar to CAT, NST or NTMB 40 tapers with slight variation of tang, etc..

FMB22 is probably the type of attachment that has a 22 mm diameter cylinder shank with a bar across to hold torque. That probably tells me there are other variations such as FMA, FMC, and other sizes larger/smaller than 22mm.

BAP400R-50-22-4F. For this, I am guessing BAP400R is the type of turning tool holder, index-able with right hand turn. 50 is the face mill holder's head diameter in millimeter. 22 is the diameter in mm for the mounting hole, which would match up with FMB22 shank.

4F would be 4 flute type.

I search a little and find inserts like APKT1604PDER would fit that kind of holder. The insert follows the nomenclature of ANSI/ISO http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm. So A is for 85 degree parallelogram. P is for 11 degree positive rake angle, K is for tolerance of .0005" corner and thickness tolerance of 0.001". T is a hole/chip breaker for 40-60° double countersink, single sided with hole. 1 is for the inscribed circle size (not sure what this is from the chart). 6 is for the thickness, 3/8" thick. 4 is for radius 1/16". P would be wiper lead angle of 0 degree. D is for wiper clearance angle of 15 degree. E for cutting edge preparation (honed). R is for right hand cutting.

Back