Face Shield - Recommendations Anyone?

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm good at wearing safety glasses but the only face shield I have is very old, uncomfortable and in need of replacement. Any suggestions? I wear glasses and was hoping for something light weight, comfortable and convenient.

Before you buy one, find out for sure by checking that replacement lenses are available, and buy some while you are at it. It used to be that companies supported their products for many years with spares. Now, not so much or not at all. The product is usually from China, and each purchase is bid with multiple companies, and nobody cares about future support, only current sales. Or, be ready to scrap the whole unit when a lens gets scratched up, and it will.

I have this one from Harbor Freight. Now hear me out before you ignore my post cause I said HF. :)

Sold by HF but it's not a HF product. It's made by SAS Safety Corp which is a US company. Made in Taiwan. SAS model 5145, it's their deluxe version. Replacement shields are available but not from HF. A number of vendors carry them. Amazon sells the replacememt shields for $10, even Summit Racing sells them.

The face shield is $20 on Amazon, $15 at HF and you can use a 20% or 25% coupon on it. It's not a professional grade model if that's what you are looking for but it's not cheap crap & works well for me. I've had mine for about 5 yrs now. I would definitely buy again & don't have a problem recommending it. And for the price it's well worth it.

When I hear of someone asking for a special safety device, I don't think of cheap....even though I am cheap. I had a low cost full face shield some years ago, but when I thought I should use it instead of my safety glasses, I started to wonder if it would really do the job if I needed it. It didn't have any regulatory approvals.

So a couple of years back, and I may have been right on this forum, I was introduced to the Honeywell Bionic Full face shield. Yes it was more expensive but it had full approvals the same as my prescription CSA approved safety glasses..The honeywell has many adjustments and seems to have sufficient ventilation to minimize fogging. It may even be the one that has been referenced above from Lee Valley.

David

I bought a nice face shield from McMaster-Carr along with a spare replacement shield. Total cost was around $50. I didn't think that was too bad price wise. And I'm cheap! too. The face shield is a good brand name one too. Wasn't some junky one from India, either.

Edit: https://www.mcmaster.com/#eye-protectors/=1a5h98g

What ever brand of face shield you decide on make sure that the shield is marked with the letters "Z87" or "Z87+". This is the ANSI standard number for eye and face protection and indicates the manufacturer has made and tested their product in accordance with this standard. I've seen a lot of cheap face shields that have no markings on them being sold in major supply store chains that you would not expect to be selling junk. If using a face shield in a commercial or industrial application it must have the Z87 marking to comply with OSHA regulations. The same applies to "safety glasses". A lot of vendors will sell glasses as being safety glasses because they are made of polycarbonate plastic. But if the frames do not have the Z87 marking, usually on the inside of the wings, and the lenses do not have the makers logo etched into the upper corner of each lens they are not true safety glasses.

Back