Facemill on a 8530

Brento

Registered
Registered
Friends with a Clausing 8520-30 series. If you guys are using facemills, what is the biggest you use? I was thinking of going 2" or maybe 1.5" i dont want to go to bigger for the size machine it is. Im looking at face mills now with tpg inserts so i have common inserts being used in the shop.

When you are concerned about cutting forces and machine stiffness, unfortunately it seems like going with a more modern insert design is especially important. I have a TPG face mill and it does an okay job but I can tell the impacts are substantial (Bridgeport clone). I’d encourage you to look at newer designs, even though you need different inserts.

Cutting steel I would keep the diameter small like 2", and use inserts with some positive rake
or use a flycutter
-M

I have a fly cutter but id like to have the ability for inserts. What is a good shell mill then with decently cheap inserts then. The TPG inserts i got at most was 3.49 an insert or something like that.

Don't waste your money on the import ones. They suck. The carbide pockets are not milled all the same so you have inserts at different heights. Look for a NOS or gently used USA made one.

Back