Facing And Boring Head

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I got the latest issues of HSM magazines with the build for this facing an boring head.
image.jpeg

I want to try to build it. Why..... I don't know why..... I guess it is the challenge. I don't need it ..... But I want one. I have been discussing the three gears that need to be made for this extensively in another thread. I finally bit the bullet and tried to make the tool to cut the first gear. I needed some 1/4" square oil hardening material to make the three tools. I found no one seems to have any square drill rod...... so l made some.

image.jpeg I took a length of 1/2" drill rod and milled it square. It came out within .002"
image.jpeg

Next , I set up the mill to cut the radius in the steel according to the print. This was very difficult as I can't quite understand the print dimensions, but after a few hours of calculating , I cut the tool.
image.jpeg This is the mill set up. I set the relief angles also while cutting.

image.jpeg This is the first tool. It seems to look like the picture. There are two more to make. Once these tools are made , I will try to cut the gears. If they work, it is game on. If they do not work, this project is DEAD. I have been studying it for weeks and these three gears are the deciding factor. I will cut this first gear, and if it looks ok, I figure it will take me a couple weeks to make the other two tools and cut the other two gears. Then I will know if this is a do able project.

This project is on hold until I get some needed tooling and materials.

Mark,

I think I just realized what the adjustable thing on top of my boring head is. It's the apparatus for facing. Good
luck making one as it would be a challenging and rewarding project. :)

It is a bit difficult because of the gearing but a valuable tool. I need one often.

I like this saying: The easy things are, well, easy, the impossible, well, that takes a bit longer.

We all have faith in you and I'm sure if it can be done you can do it. I've looked and read I think every build you've done. YUPP as they say you the man. Ill be watching , kinda wish you made YouTube vids . They would teach a lot. God bless you

I thought about it once but all the work it take me to make the video.... I'd never get anything done.... :laughing:

Back