Fagor Innova Dro Failures and Errors Needs TLC?

I hear you.

I was just tossing them out there. I go by the "If its too good to be true" its most likely not.

I'll be back

Yeah, that pretty well finished. Time for some new scales. +1 what darkzero said, depending on budget, there are a lot of options available.

EDIT:

It looks like to get a longer scale I'll have to drill and tap holes in the table. How hard is the metal?

The DRO is an OLD Futuba and the readout is dim but it works. I see there is a Ground terminal at the rear unused. Do you think this may be why the display is so dim?

The table is a good grade of cast iron, so it's pretty soft. Drills and taps very well, be careful tapping, it can be a bit grabby on small taps. Use a dark cutting oil, normally available at the big box stores as well as you local industrial/plumbing supply.

I don't think the ground is causing the dim display, probably just getting tired.

Last edited:
Thanks, Well upon further review in looking at the possible mounting points of interest it looks like some poor soul decided to mount a scale smaller than the previous one.
Have a look.
I put the end cap of the ruined scale where it was for effect.

scaleforensics_zps458f9d58.jpg

scaleforensics_zps458f9d58.jpg

Thanks Guys,

Well, the Bridge Port Fagor thing is out as the scales are very expensive and cross compatibility is vague so my boss will not roll those dice. We are looking a a new setup from Dro Pros for around $600.00.

We have a Victor 1640 lathe with a Futaba Pulscale DRO system with issues. The X axis is fine and the Y axis was really full of debris and had been for a while. It tossed errors for most of the travel at the same place reliably, I would say 75% of the travel would error.
Not only the above but they has the axis's reversed, and I swapped cables.

I pulled it apart and we have aerosol alcohol so I wet it down good and Q-Tipped her and reassembled but it still was pretty bad.

I could see a rub on the glass and the glass over the reader pickup. With nothing to loose I buffed them firmly with lens paper and managed to salvage it all but for a 3/4" section of travel about 3/4" inboard from the center. I call it a significant save because tool post arrangement can be manipulated to avoid the spot 99% of the time. We almost never need to face off wide travel items.

Yeh, the rub is in the most traveled space I guess.

The Futaba Display,

VictorDigital_zpsd1bba40c.jpg

VictorDigital_zpsd1bba40c.jpg

When you get the new DRO from DRO-PROS you will note that the alignment of the scale and reader is critical. If they are not installed right the scale can be destroyed in no time. Just make sure you carefully follow the directions that they provide. I have one of DRO-PROS glass scale set ups on my BP and have been very happy with the unit.

I remember needing to call them with question. They were very good at getting back to me right away with the information I needed.

Good luck

Paul

I have the same Futaba Pulscale CJ2004 DRO on my Maxmill and I'm in desperate need of an operating manual. Do you have ANY literature on this DRO that you could scan for me?

You Still There?

How about these. They are cellular cam images of a large laminated double sided card I found deep in the dark among the archives. I didn't give up.
Its got to be the simplest instruction manual I ever seen.

These are sized down to 1200x900 from 3264 x 2448 at about 3.20 to 3.25 MB each. If you likie, and want the full resolution versions, give me or PM an email address.

pulscale_manual_1200_01.jpg

pulscale_manual_1200_02.jpg

Back