Famup Unimilla?

Surveywaters

Registered
Registered
I'm looking at a Famup Unimilla vertical mill. This would be my first full size mill, I'm coming from a mill drill and am a self taught hobbyist. I have no first hand familiarity with knee mills and don't know if this is similar to other manufacturers. Below is the listing and I can't find any info on line about the brand. Any information or thoughts would be great. My concern would be that I buy this and then need a part for it and am never able to find it.

https://augusta.craigslist.org/bfs/d/milling-machine-mill/6489258850.html

Famup(Famp) is made in Italy I believe. It looks like a variable speed unit. If it has dials, they would be metric.
What kind of collets does it take? It looks like a pretty substantial mill and has X power feed, possibly Y also. If the
variable speed part is good, it might be a good deal. That's just my take on the machine looking at the photos for
what that is worth. If the collets are out of the ordinary, the tooling would get expensive.....

I'm waiting on more information from the seller. It is a 2hp variable speed.one unique thing is that the table tilts 45deg in both axis, I've not seen that before. As for the metric dials, that's not an issue as I'll be putting a dro on. My concern is that I can't find any thing on the company other than that Emco acquired them in 2005. I don't know if I'll be able to find parts, let alone a manual.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Interesting machine, I've never heard/seen it before.
Unusual to have the A-frame between the knee and the base, usually see those on horizontal mills between the knee and the over-arm.
Neat too that not only does the table rotate , but the knee rotates too.

There is some company and machine info here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/famup/
-brino

....also the motor plate says 440/480V, 3-phase alright with you? Are you changing the motors; primary and feed (and pump?)?

It always worries me to see the casting on the end of the table cracked like that......did it get knocked over? is the x-axis screw bent?

Funny too that first picture made it look like a huge flat-belt pulley out the back....the other pictures show that was _BEHIND_ the mill.

-brino

Good observations Brino! I had to go back and look at the photos again. My first view was with the smaller photos so
you saw stuff I didn't see. The crack would definitely be a bargaining chip for the machine. Also if it is only a 440 volt
machine, that would affect the price too as well as a possibly bent feed rod. On the plus side, the tilting table is a very
neat feature that would be quite useful at times. Another detail the photos can't show is how worn the machine might be.
For the right price, it would be an interesting fixer-upper. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I didn't look closely at the motor label, the ad is described as 220/440 3ph but that's not how the motor reads. I'm uneducated when it comes to phase conversions and was.going to use a vfd but it looks like this would require a transformer. Probably a deal breaker..

It almost looks like that motor plate voltage was re-stamped.
Perhaps it has an internal wiring option for 220V or 440V, but they wired it for 440 and re-stamped the plate to avoid confusion.
If so, then it may be easy to convert to 220V.

Does nobody make a 220V single phase input to 440V 3-phase output phase converter?
I know nothing of them either.

-brino

EDIT did find this:

Last edited:
It almost looks like that motor plate voltage was re-stamped.
Perhaps it has an internal wiring option for 220V or 440V, but they wired it for 440 and re-stamped the plate to avoid confusion.
If so, then it may be easy to convert to 220V.

Does nobody make a 220V single phase input to 440V 3-phase output phase converter?
I know nothing of them either.

-brino

EDIT did find this:
That's some witch craft well beyond my understanding. I would end up burning down the shop.

It also looks like it's very tall with that motor on top. Do you have the headroom in your shop to accommodate it? An 8 ft. ceiling might
not be enough.

Back