Fantastic Drill Press Vice

My 4" takes up a good bit of real estate on my 20" table. Probably too much for a 12" table. I would recommend the 3".

Randy

Hi, new guy here. I use cheapy locking clamp for most of drill work, works great for my purposes, either locking down the part itself on the table or clamping a drill press vise down. $10 well spent.

IMG_20170307_075529850.jpg

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
View attachment 261665

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
View attachment 261666

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

View attachment 253653
What brand or any info on this clamp? I just received one with much boxier jaws but have never seen one. New to metal working.

No idea whats going on with that post. The photo of the drill press vice is mine but none of the text. lol
Forget the manufacturer's name, I'd never seen one before Ianded it at a yard sale, actually bought the vice and a drill press came with it. Incredibly handy, you'll like it.

Greg

I'd like to relate (confess) the event I suffered when failing to secure a job on the drill press early in my illustrious life.

I think I was 16, possibly younger, a buddy of mine, Lee, had a Fender Stratocaster electric guitar for which he'd purchased new tuning pegs. The new ones were just a little larger than the original ones and needed the holes reamed ever so slightly. He had removed the neck of the guitar and brought it over.

My dad had a nice Delta Milwaukee 15in drill press, which I still own and use regularly to this day, some 50 years later.

I don't remember how I determined what diameter drill was needed, didn't know how to use micrometers or vernier calipers. I probably drilled some sample holes in scrap to check the fit of the new tuning pegs (hey, I wasn't a completely brain-dead teenager).

Once we decided the appropriate drill bit size to ream the holes, I set about hand-holding the neck of the guitar while pulling the quill handle on the drill press. I was smart enough to block the underside of the headstock of the guitar so I wouldn't drill into the table underneath.

I think the guitar necks were, and still are, made from maple. As soon as the drill bit started it yanked the guitar neck out of my hands, and slammed it against the drill press post. I don't remember if the spindle stalled, but I was right quick on the stop button I'll tell ya. First ever lesson on drill press torque!

We determined that it had formed a crack between the hole and the outer edge of the headstock of the guitar. Cant remember if it dimpled the neck by slamming against the post.

I apologized profusely, but Lee decided he wanted to continue the project. This time he held the neck, while I operated the drill press and held the headstock perpendicular to the drill bit. Didn't occur to us to just hold the neck against the post.

We successfully reamed the remaining holes without mishap. The crack was mostly covered by the bezel on the new tuning peg, and apparently had no detrimental effect on the early 1970's rock and roll that Lee played.

I still frequently think of that experience some 50 years later, and am actively searching for the best means of holding my work on my drill presses.

Don't know whatever became of Lee.

Back