Fanuc OT code problem

It doesn't make sense, but I looked at the 20 programs that were on the lathe when I got it and they all are written that way.

Like I said it's no big deal, just odd.

I emailed the tech that worked on the machine last week about the spindle turning backwards and he already answered me.

Here is his response.

"Dan,

I actually haven't come across that. I'm almost positive there is no way to effect that in parameters so you're probably on the right track with phase. I would check and see if the leads attaching directly to the spindle drive are off. That's more than likely the drive to the right of your 3 axis drive.

Dalton"

Again it's easy to overcome this. But leave it to me to get an oddball machine :rolleyes:

I did actually make some chips today with it. I couldn't finish the part because I need a tool busing to hold my boring bar. I could make one, but don't have material to do that. So I just ordered a few tool bushings and material to make some in the future.

Some of the tooling is cheap, like $20 for the bushings. Other ones like bushettes to hold collets are waaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.

I know what I'm going to be making pretty soon.

I don't think you can just swap the spindle wires to change the phasing, you would need to change the encoder phasing also. And even that might not work because the commutation is done in the computer. I guess you could flip the tools over, but that kinda screws up the chip removal. I'll bet the original owner ran it with the cutting edges up.

I made a bunch of bushings for my tooling when I first got the lathe. But then I bought some ER tool holders from Shars. I think you might have different holders than I do.

Here is a pretty good look at my tool holders

I thought the same thing, but there are 2 tools still in the turret. They are both facing down.

Wouldn't running the tools upside down put the cutting edge off center?

I wonder just what happened to make the spindle turn backwards?

Bounced around too much during shipping?

I'm still happy with my purchase. When the techs were here they commented several times how quite it runs and how low the hours are on it. Said I didn't get hurt on it at all.

I just got power back on, was down for about 25 hours.

Awesome. ! Looks like it's running well, and very quiet.

I don't think bouncing around would cause a spindle direction issue.

Sorry to hear about your power. Was it the planned shutdown, or damaged lines?

I like the way it runs. At first I had almost no coolant flow. The PO actually put little extensions on the coolant nozzles to get the coolant to the part because the flow was so low.

I pulled the hose of the coolant pump and it had plenty of flow. I took the spring loaded adapter that directs the coolant into the turret and it was totally blocked with chips. I cleaned it out and put it back on. And did something dumb, turned the coolant on with the door open and coolant went over the top of my shop computer and hit the wall 20ft away. Got plenty of flow now. I put a ball valve on the line out of the pump to regulate the flow.

I also have coolant leaking on the floor. Haven't figured that one out yet.

I'm sure curious to know why the spindle is running in reverse. Changing the phase rotation didn't help. I talked to the tech again and he's gonna research it. Hopefully he will have a answer when they come back to remove the bar feeder.

Last edited:
Back