FB marketplace $250 lathe in "great shape"

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yes it is.
Remove the legs, get a nice hunk of live edge plank in your choice of wood species mount the legs and there you go.
Not sure what to do with the rest. I could try to salvage the tailstock to make one for my RoTab.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
I'd hate to see what they think is bad shape. Sad.

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
No QCGB... though it might have all the change gears. Rusted together!

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Only need about 400 gallons of evaporust...

Might not be much left though...

Superburban

Interesting chuck on it. If you can see past the rust.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
No QCGB... though it might have all the change gears. Rusted together!
No problem, it's in good shape when it was taken out of service 20yrs ago and put outside uncovered. Besides its only surface rust....NOT! If I had a nickel for every time I read those words I could buy a new machine.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
I've come to appreciate the difference between the look of dust and dirt encrusted oil and rust. I can only think somebody with something as deeply rusted as this has no clue there are precision surfaces involved that evaporust can clean but won't repair the pits. Oil encrusted dust and dirt can be cleaned off and while it looks AWEFUL seems to act as a preservative. Not so in this case. There is no sign oil anywhere.

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Platinum Supporter
A file and some sandpaper, maybe use the angle grinder, and it’s as good as new.

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
Yep I would offer up 100 bucks to get the legs and scrap the rest.
Grab the tail stock for me pls, I'll go in for $20. :grin:
I remember looking for legs for my Logan back around the turn of the century, $200-250...

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
Have to say it, but we could cut out cast iron pieces to use on other projects, couldn't we?

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Like slice the bed into 12" chunks to practice scraping?

FanMan

Mechanical Hacker
Registered
What blows my mind is that even the [presumably] chromed handles have an even patina of rust...

Barncat

I have passed on farm equipment that was that rusty and moss covered, couldn't imagine buying a piece of precision equipment like that. I really don't know what people are thinking. In the same FB marketplace search there are two monarchs for 500 and 800. Do people not look around at what else is for sale?

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock