Feasibility of using chain & sprockets as gears?

Here is my use for a chain drive. Mine has the small sprocket driving large, opposite what you are contemplating.
This is in my aqueous wash tank. It originally had a wire brush that was supposed to rotate the parts carrier just by friction against the carrier.
This of course did not work for very long.
Low power and low speed here. Has been working great for years.
Without the flat face to weld your chain to it may be a little harder to make yours work. Maybe machine the large sprocket teeth down to where you
can put the chain rollers on top of the shortened teeth and weld there. That way the tooth gullet is left open for clearance for the tips of the mating sprocket.
Another thought is to use what you have as a chain coupling. Used in a shaft coupling like a lovejoy but stronger. Usually done with a double row chain with a sprocket in each side. You could possibly machine matching sprockets to 1/2 thickness and install the chain around them. Or if there is enough chain for two loops around the smaller sprockets the chain could be welded together for a more normal looking chain coupling.
Google chain coupling for ideas on that. Here's one example:https://www.mrosupply.com/couplings...Df6mYR97lIAL0rsxqIAFLuGukYDBFK4BoCkUsQAvD_BwE
20190429_054318.jpg

Here is my use for a chain drive. Mine has the small sprocket driving large, opposite what you are contemplating.
This is in my aqueous wash tank. It originally had a wire brush that was supposed to rotate the parts carrier just by friction against the carrier.
This of course did not work for very long.
Low power and low speed here. Has been working great for years.
Without the flat face to weld your chain to it may be a little harder to make yours work. Maybe machine the large sprocket teeth down to where you
can put the chain rollers on top of the shortened teeth and weld there. That way the tooth gullet is left open for clearance for the tips of the mating sprocket.
Another thought is to use what you have as a chain coupling. Used in a shaft coupling like a lovejoy but stronger. Usually done with a double row chain with a sprocket in each side. You could possibly machine matching sprockets to 1/2 thickness and install the chain around them. Or if there is enough chain for two loops around the smaller sprockets the chain could be welded together for a more normal looking chain coupling.
Google chain coupling for ideas on that. Here's one example:https://www.mrosupply.com/couplings...Df6mYR97lIAL0rsxqIAFLuGukYDBFK4BoCkUsQAvD_BwE
View attachment 293620
See, I knew someone had done it. You give me an idea. Your large chain "female" sprocket/gear never had teeth to begin with. You just welded chain to a round thing. Instead of cutting the teeth off of an expensive sprocket I can just use the dimensions of the sprocket to create a plain steel plate to weld the chain onto. That way the only waste in the even of failure is a short scrap of chain that probably wasn't of much use to anyone anyway. The sprockets can still be sold if it's a no-go.

Now your thinking.
I always see lots of possible uses. Like you could weld the chain on a flat bar for a rack and pinion type movement.
All just hinges on what is needed for a project.
Fun stuff!

Back