Feather Fill G2(bondo) won't cure

mwvernon89

Registered
Registered
Hello all,
I have been working on repainting my Bridgeport mill. I cleaned all paint and bondo off. Then I primed with pro form epoxy. That seems to go well. After that hardened I proceeded to spray 3 coats of Evercoat featherfill G2 letting the coats flash off for about 10 minutes as the directions instruct you to do so. The problem is after 3 days I can still scrape the filler off with my finger nail. And it is to soft to sand with out clogging up then sand paper. I have used the proper amount of hardener and sprayed at 71 degrees with 60% humidity. Will this cure or do I need to sand off every bit and start over. Which I really wouldn't want to have to do. Please give me good news!

Thanks Matt.

Ive never used this particular brand however it sounds like this product is a High Build primer used to help straighten out body work before paint. Because most of this type of primer ends up being dust on the floor its made to sand easily but it will also clog finer grit papers easily which might be what you are experiencing. Unless you are going for a museum quality finish i think you might not be using the correct type of filler for the job.

I've used lots of feather fill in my body shop days and never a problem with cure. I could spray one in the morning and be sanding on it in the afternoon. If it hasn't set in 3 days, you probably got a bad batch.....scrape it off and start over.

It could also be from your Epoxy. did you wipe it down with alcohol or other solvent before the primer?

look up amine blush from epoxies

Try heat before scraping it off. 100 watt light bulb in a cone light is worth a try. Leave the light on the area for a day.

Try heat before scraping it off. 100 watt light bulb in a cone light is worth a try.

I was thinking 500 watt halogen.
Also if you have feather fill left mix some and spray something different and see if it hardens.
If it does I think I would try spraying over the first coat with a second coat mixed with a higher percentage of hardener.

One thing I have learned about polyester fillers is that the hardener looses potency over time. I've had hardener that won't work at all, gotten a new tube of hardener and the filler works fine. Not sure this is your culprit, but it's worth checking out.

Back