Federal .0001 indicater

dlane

Active User
Registered
got this for five bucks it is a little slow returning, any safe suggestions to free it up.
The fixture is all hardened
IMG_0828.JPG IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0832.JPG
Seems like a nice indicator just a little slow returning
Is the little hole in the cap for anything special
Gona need a new contact tip also
Thanks

I would try a drop of light machine oil on the plunger. That usually works for me…Dave

Not to disagree, Dave, but Long Island Indicator has this to say about a sticking dial indicator spindle: "The spindle should never require lubrication. In fact, when we repair them we make certain to clean them thoroughly so that no grease, oil or grime remain. It may be a better idea to apply a few drops of alcohol to the spindle. This may clean it, if dirt is the issue. ..."

Not to disagree, Dave, but Long Island Indicator has this to say about a sticking dial indicator spindle: "The spindle should never require lubrication. In fact, when we repair them we make certain to clean them thoroughly so that no grease, oil or grime remain. It may be a better idea to apply a few drops of alcohol to the spindle. This may clean it, if dirt is the issue. ..."
Thank you. I would not reference somebody else’s recommendation, especially if you do not have you own. I have been repairing and making watch and clock parts most of my life. Indicators fall into that category. I will continue to clean and lightly oil the plunger, thank you. If you took that indicator apart and cleaned and oiled it. I would only oil the pivots and not the gear teeth. One must also consider the cost of that service to fix an indicator.

Last edited:
Get you a bottle of Starrett instrument oil or watch oil. Chip aught to know what oil is the best to use.:D

As for cleaning, I've done some cleaning to these indicators, but it is very easy to mess one up too. Go easy on cleaners, don't use brake cleaners! electrical cleaners are probably the best to using an ultrasonic cleaner.

I just got my Compac back from Mark. It was sticky, works great now.

Is the little hole in the cap for anything special

I see nobody answering this.
I'm thinking air vent.....but just a guess.
I've had some luck with a silicon spray for sticky indicators. only use it if cleaning with alcohol didn't work.

Thank you. I would not reference somebody else’s recommendation, especially if you do not have you own. I have been repairing and making watch and clock parts most of my life. Indicators fall into that category. I will continue to clean and lightly oil the plunger, thank you. If you took that indicator apart and cleaned and oiled it. I would only oil the pivots and not the gear teeth. One must also consider the cost of that service to fix an indicator.

Actually, I used watch oil to lightly lube my old Teclock DI spindle that got sticky. That worked for about a month and then it got stickier so I put it aside and didn't use it. Then when I saw that recommendation from Rene at LIIS, I cleaned the spindle several times with denatured alcohol and its still working fine for the last several years. I'm afraid that's the only experience I have but in my case, Rene was right.

Back