Federal .0001 indicater

I have this bad habit of taking things apart to see what they look like, how they were built, but I resist the temptation when it comes to my precision gages.
I've only cleaned and calibrated my mechanical mics. Indicators,? well, like Will said, I leave it to the pros.

That's my thought also.
Then I'll be sitting on the couch watching tv and the ol lady will start removing her finger nail polish, and I'm like holy **** do you know what that stuff is!!! and she says YES it's finger nail polish remover.... and to think I'm afraid of getting acetone on my hands.

Don't think nail polish is the same as Acetone
Acetone will pass through the skin with any contaminants

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I ended up using a little charcoal lighter fluid on the plunger, it returns repeatable now ,time will tell.

Ok it works, the cap on top unscrews if it's dirty in there it will get back in the plunger and restick itself. If you take the back off it can be cleaned and cked out. Just don't go any farther , the springs are delicate to say the least. On the ones I've taken apart it looked like a tiny tiny drip of Vaseline on the rack of the plunger . But mine were all second hand not factory.

I have used 3 in 1 penetrant with good results but probably not as good a naptha.

Last edited:
Don't think nail polish is the same as Acetone
Acetone will pass through the skin with any contaminants

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I looked up the MSDS for acetone and found no info about transdermal tendencies as stated above, just that is is an irritant and rubber gloves should be used accordingly; I have used it without protection many times without any ill effects.

Charcoal lighter worked for a while ,but now it's slow again :(

Small amounts of acetone, as used in cleaning an indicator, won't hurt you. Your own body produces acetone as a byproduct of fat metabolism and is used in the production of glucose by your body. It is absorbed through the skin but only in small amounts and your body will rid itself of that amount through your lungs, urine and via normal metabolism. Its wise to use gloves if you're exposed to it often but occasional casual contact is not considered a health hazard of significant note.

One of the larger indicator repair shops recommend using naptha for cleaning and lubricating of dial indicators.

Back