Feed knob ideas?

tundrawolf

Registered
Registered
Due to careless handling, my Atlas-Craftsman lathe fell, and the knobs for positioning and feeding the cutting tool into the work are broke off. They previously had tapered down little protrusions, two per handle. I kind of like the knob that turns the tooling, to and from the work. It has a singly protrusion I can use to move the tooling quickly. Anyways, I guess I am asking what type of handles I should weld on or fabricate, other than just some manner of ordinary rod, kind of like what was on there, before. But anything is an improvement to what's on there, now.

would you be able to post a picture of the damaged areas?

My 6" Atlas/Craftsman has steel handles pressed into diecast Zamak cranks. If the handles broke off, they could be drilled out and new ones turned and pressed in. If the Zamak broke, your best bet will be to make a new crank. Rather than the style used by Atlas, you could just make a disk and drill for the new handle.The old handle could be removed from the casting and used in your disk.

Well drat, right at the 'bulge'.
Are they keyed or threaded on?

EDIT: Just did a search on eBay for "Ball Crank Handle" - OUCH! $20 on up?!
Fab up a disc and assemble a turned handle on it? Handle could be made with a thru screw onto the disc and hence free to rotate.
EDIT II: oops, my bad - I didn't see RJ's reply.

Last edited:
Check out some of the handles and knobs that McMaster-Carr has to offer. I've bought many from them. Pricing not bad either.

Those handles are unfortunately some of the most overpriced (and desirable) parts for Atlas lathes.
You might could use the remaining hubs and epoxy some extension pieces on. I've used JB weld for similar repairs with good results, if
there is enough surface area for a good bond.
Mark

I would turn some disks from 1/2" plate. I would rough out the piece, bore the center hole and make a mandrel to hold the part while turning the O.D. I used to make 2" diameter disks from 3/8" aluminum plate by sawing the blank out with a 2-1/4" hole saw and turning in this fashion.

The keyway will be the hardest part but could be cut with a piece of ground down hacksaw blade and finished with jeweler's files. There is a counterbore on the cross feed handle which could be added when boring the through hole. The OEM handles were press fit in and could be removed from the old casting and reused.

If you wanted something more like the OEM crank, you could cut away excess material and with a little hand work have a fairly good replica.

Back