Feed screw thread

rzw0wr

Registered
Registered
I have a Bolton BT1022 lathe.

Last night I broke the carriage feed screw nut.

I would like to make a new one.

Problem is:

I measure it and get 1/2" x 10 tpi.
It does not come out as metric as I thought it would.

It does not look like a square or Acme thread.

Where can I get a tap for this.

Sorry for the bad picture, it is from my cheap phone.

Picture looks like it has flat tops but they a "V" cut.
1018191408.jpg

Looks like acme to me, most likely left hand thread. Did you you check it with an acme thread gauge? Mc'master-Carr shoud have what you need and charts to determine what you have. Mike

Definitely left hand. My Japanese-made lathe uses 7/8-8 LH Acme thread, so it's quite possible.

1/2" 10T LH Acme should be off the shelf at Mcmaster.com for a reasonable price.

In the picture it does look like Acme thread. It is a standard looking thread.

Here a better picture of the thread profile.

1018191751.jpg

But if it's heavily worn, the threads will take on a triangular shape, as the above appears to be.

Looks like the folks on this thread may have a point....

Have you checked with whoever sold it to you about a warranty? Toolots.com claims a one year warranty on that model.

John

Looks like acme to me also. My question would be: how does one break a crosslide nut? If it was binding it would explain how a screw could be that worn in such a short time. I would measure the OD of the screw before ordering a tap. I had to replace crosslide screws on a couple of Optimum lathes. They were Asian imports. The screws were metric OD with standard acme threads. I don't recall the size, but I had to either buy from the manufacturer or make them. They wanted a small fortune for them.

Back