Feedback on Bolton Metal Lathe

I have found that some times you just have to pull the trigger.
You will not be completely satisfied with any machine you buy.

Get something you think will work and make it work for you.

Dale

It took me at least a year to find my first (and current) lathe. It was worth the search. Got a good deal on a lathe with about 10 minutes of usage, total. It has been good to me since then, about 5+ years now.

... When I think I have a lather I want to buy, I find ways to talk myself out of it. I do this so that I can objectively make my decision and not regret later....
From a fellow "researcher" (check my job title in my avatar), what you will regret most is that you didn't buy it sooner. Don't ask me how I know that. ;)

Tom

Was wondering what you decided CDarby67? I myself have been scouring the internet trying to find the best hobby lathe/mill for my "retirement gift". Always loved precision metal work but never had the opportunity to pursue until now.
Steve, sorry for such a long delay.
I picked up a slightly used Grizzly G-4000, the Taiwanese model. I have yet to play with it but it runs well, everything works, and there is no wear. I do plan to do a lube and clean PM even though it looks spotless.
Clint

I have a 13x40 Bolton, with no customer service or help with a problem. Bolton tells me parts are no longer available for the machine I have, so I'm left with hoping PM or Grizzly can supply parts for the machine I have. I have a part that needs replaced I've just been waiting on the right time to contact PM or Grizzly.

Have you found any machines that match up with your lathe? I just acquired a BT330 project in a trade and will be trying to fix it up.

Thanks,

john

I have a 13x40 Bolton, with no customer service or help with a problem. Bolton tells me parts are no longer available for the machine I have, so I'm left with hoping PM or Grizzly can supply parts for the machine I have. I have a part that needs replaced I've just been waiting on the right time to contact PM or Grizzly.

Well, you and I are on the same page , I emailed Bolton / Toolots twice , no return replies , and tried via phone getting a live CS rep to answer some questions and sat on elevator music hold for 45 min. 3 strikes and they are out. Too bad the Bolton 12x24 would be a great fit for what I am looking to accomplish. But I absolutely need a live CS person to help with questions and parts.

Do not expect any parts or customer service from Bolton. I had an order from them that never came and it took months to get a refund. Thank goodness I used PayPal.

But, having traded for a 6” Craftsman I’m generally happy now that I’ve gotten it running. It still has a way to go but basically it’s a capable machine. I don’t think I would have been happy buying it new though.

37E7FC1C-3EB2-4213-A280-7C19E5BC4ECF.jpeg

Back