Feedback on first lathe - 8x14 600W variable speed lathe CJ210A

So something I recently discovered, apparently the common 10x22 and 10x30 lathes still use change gears, they do not have a true QC gear box for thread cutting.

Many older American lathes in the 9 and 10" class were available with a full QCGB, but it appears on small import lathes only the older (1980s) Jet 10x24PY has a full QCGB.

The Grizzly, Enco, Jet, Busy Bee etc 9x19 and 9x20 (same lathe just depends on who was measuring) lathes use a semi quick change gearbox allowing 9 threads to be cut on a given set of change gears. The Grizzly 10x22 uses a different limited gear box also giving 9 threads on a set of change gears. The PM / Weiss 10x22/30 has a 3 speed gearbox only allows 3 threads on a given set of change gears.

The PM/Weiss 10x22/30 does have a reversing lead screw allowing left hand threads. The 9x19 and Grizzly 10x22 don't (although there are plans out there on how to add a reversing gear for both).

The PM/Weiss 10x22/30 has power feed on the carriage and crossslide, the 9x19 and Grizzly 10x22 only have power feed on the carriage.

As far as I know none of the 7" and 8" import lathes have any sort of QCGB so the 9x19 and 10x22s are not at any disadvantage here, but I had not seen anyone mention the need for change gears on these lathes before.

Just in case you were not confused enough. :grin:

I had decided to go with the Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP-w/2axDRO... would that be a good choice?

I only made the reference to the Grizzly G0602Z because, cost wise, I could have gotten that one and kept the G0704 mill all manual for now, for the same cost.

And yes... I am way passed confusion, hahahahahhahaha

Last edited:
I had decided to go with the Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP-w/2axDRO... would that be a good choice?

I only made the reference to the Grizzly G0602Z because, cost wise, I could have gotten that one and kept the G0704 mill all manual for now, for the same cost.

And yes... I am way passed confusion, hahahahahhahaha

The PM 1022/1030 lathes are fairly well regarded, I was just surprised at the lack of a QCGB and even more so that it hasn't been mentioned. If that is an issue depends on if it is an issue to you. Do you mind changing the change gears to change threads?
The power cross feed is a nice feature, and missing on many import lathes at this size.

The only import lathes I have personally fondled were the Jet 1024 and 9x20 lathes, which have a QCGB and a sort of QCGB so I had just assumed the 10x22s had a QCGB since they had what looks to be one and I have never seen anybody mention their lack of one until I recently saw the Blondihacks video on buying an import lathe.

She has a PM1022 so talks about it a bit in her video on things to consider when buying an import lathe. It is a pretty good video regardless of which one you decide to go with.

Just had to share... the funny (or ironic, depending on how you look at it) thing is that because I decided to wait until next year to get a better lathe... I decided to CNC my mill... well, I just added up what I have spent so far on the CNC conversion, and I could have bought the Grizzly G0602Z - 10" x 22" Benchtop Metal Lathe with DRO...

I never said I was smart... :p

Put a 4th axis on it and use that instead....

Honestly though, building my CNC was one of the best learning experiences I've had in the shop. I'm still really nowhere near done but the confidence I gained doing all the measuring, layout, fabrication, etc. has been fundamentally awesome.

I'd suggest tucking that $600-700 into your back pocket and keeping your eyes open for a good used lathe. If your new shop will have enough space go for a floor model rather than benchtop. sometimes opportunity just comes walking in the door and you need to greet it with open arms.

Good luck with all your projects.

Cheers,

1ohn

The PM 1022/1030 lathes are fairly well regarded, I was just surprised at the lack of a QCGB and even more so that it hasn't been mentioned. If that is an issue depends on if it is an issue to you. Do you mind changing the change gears to change threads?
The power cross feed is a nice feature, and missing on many import lathes at this size.

be one and I have never seen anybody mention their lack of one until I recently saw the Blondihacks video on buying an import lathe.

She has a PM1022 so talks about it a bit in her video on things to consider when buying an import lathe. It is a pretty good video regardless of which one you decide to go with.

Great video, thank you.

Put a 4th axis on it and use that instead....

Honestly though, building my CNC was one of the best learning experiences I've had in the shop. I'm still really nowhere near done but the confidence I gained doing all the measuring, layout, fabrication, etc. has been fundamentally awesome.

I'd suggest tucking that $600-700 into your back pocket and keeping your eyes open for a good used lathe. If your new shop will have enough space go for a floor model rather than benchtop. sometimes opportunity just comes walking in the door and you need to greet it with open arms.

Good luck with all your projects.

Cheers,

1ohn

Reading on that....baby steps... first let me finish the 3 axis CNC conversion and learn how to use the software and all that...

It has been awhile since creating this thread looking for guidance. Finally, if all goes well, I should be ordering the Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP-w/2axDRO in a month or two.

Question that I have now, what else should I order with it?

This is what I have so far listed to order:

Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP-w/2axDRO
PM-1030V-STAND w/Storage
AXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set
0-1/2 Ultra Precision Keyless Drill Chuck MT2

What else will be needed to get started?

• Is a spare back plate needed? Spare Back Plate, 5" Diameter, for PM-1030V Lathes...
  • What cut off blade (parting tools) should I get? PM does not have one to buy at the time of ordering the lathe, so I will need to get that from another place.
  • MT-2 Body Live Center - which one? Slim or Heavy Duty?

I am watching the Lathe Skills videos from Blondihacks as well to get familiar with all this...

Not having it match the rest of the green stuff from Grizzly will drive me nuts... so I will see at how I can paint the blue parts to green to match the rest of the tools I have.

Let me start another thread... this one, I think, served its purpose...

It has been awhile since creating this thread looking for guidance. Finally, if all goes well, I should be ordering the Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP-w/2axDRO in a month or two.

Question that I have now, what else should I order with it?

This is what I have so far listed to order:

Precision Matthews PM-1030V-wQCTP-w/2axDRO
PM-1030V-STAND w/Storage
AXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set
0-1/2 Ultra Precision Keyless Drill Chuck MT2

What else will be needed to get started?

• Is a spare back plate needed? Spare Back Plate, 5" Diameter, for PM-1030V Lathes...
  • What cut off blade (parting tools) should I get? PM does not have one to buy at the time of ordering the lathe, so I will need to get that from another place.
  • MT-2 Body Live Center - which one? Slim or Heavy Duty?

I am watching the Lathe Skills videos from Blondihacks as well to get familiar with all this...

Not having it match the rest of the green stuff from Grizzly will drive me nuts... so I will see at how I can paint the blue parts to green to match the rest of the tools I have.

Hey but it will kind of match your Eastwood welder, those are blue aren't they?

As to the other stuff I don't see a new thread so...

You will want a drill chuck, the one you listed seems fine.
Drill chucks are common though so you might have a look around Albrecht and Rohm are well regarded brands and you might be able to find a used one at that price or less. I'm also not that concerned with keyless, I don't find a keyed chuck to be that big of a deal to use and the are usually cheaper.

The tooling set would be handy. I'd suggest you also get some 3/8" and possibly a few 1/2" HSS tooling blanks. These smaller lathes work well with HSS cutters. There is a great thread on grinding blanks. Even if you find you prefer the using carbide, HSS is useful since you can make custom special purpose tools from them.

It does come with centers, but likely a dead center in the tailstock. Either of those live centers would be fine, I could go either way if it were me, or you could get both as they are fairly cheap. MT2 live centers are also rather common, so you have lots of other options.

Spare backplate could be handy as it seems like they are not easy to find outside of PM. You may need one if you decide to add a different chuck, like an ER or 5C collet chuck.

Thank you... have not started a new thread... I was looking for the PM specific section. Does not look like there is one in the forum. Well, at least I could not find it in the vendor section.

As you can see, I have been painting all my tools the same color... that is a plasma cutter that you see in the background... yup, took it apart and painted it to match as well.

Plasma.JPG

Old, abandon, cheap vise I found... took it apart, cleaned, and got it working again. It was rusting away outside.

Vise-Before.JPG

IMG_1347.jpeg

I have not done the Eastwood TIG welder because I am going end up ordering one that can do aluminum.... Those come in black from Eastwood. My brother already has his eyes set on mine... so I will be giving it to him in the coming months.

Last edited:
Back