Feeds and Speeds

wlbeattie

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

My first thread here.
I'm an ancient real time Analyst/Programmer. I have recently added CNC to an RF-30 Mill that I bought 25~27 years ago and only used/abused once.

Additionally, being retired and living in the CV lock-down capitol of the world (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia), I keep myself busy. And all our measurements are now metric.

The Machine Controller I'm using is Mach3 running on a Win 7 PC in the workshop/garage. I don't want this PC connected to either our wifi, LAN or the Internet.

Now Feeds & Speeds. Without a Net connection on my Mach3 PC, I don't have ready access to online Feeds & speeds most of which are Imperial anyway.

So, I read up on what I could and started a Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Project so to make a stand alone application that would run on the Mach3 PC.

My first cut of the Application is up and running but I was wondering if anyone else is interested in contributing to this as from my reading Speeds and Feeds is a very interesting "science" in its own right - and I'm a Machining Novice.

FYI: The project is Visual C++ and it will be Open Source.

I have also written system software for 2 x CNC companies,
HG Farley Laser Lab circa 2004~2005
And ANCA 2008~2009

Attachments

• 2021-10-15_Feed_01.bmp
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 2021-10-15_Feed_02.bmp
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
why re invent the wheel? here's a small free program that works great. I have used it for years.

Do you have an iPhone? OSG Calculator app is free/no ads/no nags. Metric and Imperial speed and feed, tap drill calculator where you choose thread % etc.

Thanks for the heads up, that calculator looks interesting - but this is how I learn and keep learning!

I am now getting an inside understanding of how it all hangs together!
Complex and fascinating and it helps keep my analysis and coding skills going!

Back