Feeds per inch on a Logan 400

Logan 400

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The change gear chart shows the slowest speed is .0046. After studying the ratios I changed a couple of gears and I have it down to about .0028. It still seems too fast for steel. Should I study my tooling or do I need to slow it down some more? Thanks for any input.
Jay

stupoty

Active User
Registered
I think my lathe goes down to 0.0025 per rev, gives nice finish, I tend to rough faster, up to about 0.018 per rev. depends on how rigid the set up is and depth of cut etc.

Stu

Nogoingback

I would just give it a try with the steel you normally use and see what you get.

Logan 400

I tried it on aluminum and steel. Aluminum was fair but too fast for steel. I ordered another gear so I'll give that a try when it arrives next week.

MarkM

Registered
Registered
.0046" is slow enough for a decent finish cut. Do you have a radius on your tool. Check if your tool is on centre accurately. Take a face cut and make sure it s not leaving a pip or pushing the pip off.

Logan 400

I believe I am dead on center but will try a face cut to verify. I tried several tools but I did not try sharpening them. I only tried it out for a few minutes. I have been feeding everything by hand and just started setting up the carriage feed.

Last edited:

Logan 400

Problem solved. It was a number of things. 1) I read the dial indicator wrong. Was actually reading . 0034 2) The tools needed sharpening. 3)The round stock I was using just would not turn smooth. I installed the new to me gear and sharpened a couple of tools and gave it another try with a different piece of round stock. I like the finish cut I am getting now. The feed is .0024 per rev.

rambin

Registered
Registered
i know the best you can get on the old 700 wards is .0046 which is kinda too fast. but you've cut that in half at .oo24 I would think that would be a nice finish..

Logan 400

I will have to look to answer your question. I do remember I also had to buy a small gear. I'm out of town for a couple of days but I'll look when I get home.
Jay

Logan 400

I have the same chart but notice the gears I used.

rambin

Registered
Registered
ahh your saying you came up with a different array then what logan did.... I guess I just figured they showed every probable option to get the best feeds available

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Rambin,

The slowest feed shown on the chart that you attached is four point six thou per inch, not forty-six.

rambin

Registered
Registered
ahh my math aint so good... regardless logan 400 has found a combination to go even slower I will have to see if I have the gearing to do it at some point

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock