Feeds per inch on a Logan 400

Logan 400

Registered
Registered
The change gear chart shows the slowest speed is .0046. After studying the ratios I changed a couple of gears and I have it down to about .0028. It still seems too fast for steel. Should I study my tooling or do I need to slow it down some more? Thanks for any input.
Jay

I think my lathe goes down to 0.0025 per rev, gives nice finish, I tend to rough faster, up to about 0.018 per rev. depends on how rigid the set up is and depth of cut etc.

Stu

I tried it on aluminum and steel. Aluminum was fair but too fast for steel. I ordered another gear so I'll give that a try when it arrives next week.

.0046" is slow enough for a decent finish cut. Do you have a radius on your tool. Check if your tool is on centre accurately. Take a face cut and make sure it s not leaving a pip or pushing the pip off.

I believe I am dead on center but will try a face cut to verify. I tried several tools but I did not try sharpening them. I only tried it out for a few minutes. I have been feeding everything by hand and just started setting up the carriage feed.

Last edited:
Problem solved. It was a number of things. 1) I read the dial indicator wrong. Was actually reading . 0034 2) The tools needed sharpening. 3)The round stock I was using just would not turn smooth. I installed the new to me gear and sharpened a couple of tools and gave it another try with a different piece of round stock. I like the finish cut I am getting now. The feed is .0024 per rev.

i know the best you can get on the old 700 wards is .0046 which is kinda too fast. but you've cut that in half at .oo24 I would think that would be a nice finish..

Back