Feeling nostalgic

RossB

Registered
Registered
One Sunday in early December, I was in the attic of my garage looking for something. I don't remember what it was, but while I was up there, I spied my old mini bike from childhood and thought "cleaning that up would be a fun weekend project". Well, its 4 months later and I still haven't finished...but I'm getting there!

Here's where I started. A 1970ish KG Engineering mini bike that my mother bought for me in 1980 for the princely sum of $45. She really had to stretch the grocery budget to make it happen, but 8 year old me was beyond excited. All of my Evel Knievel fantasies were about to come true.

20191208_141611.jpg

There will be some actual machining associated with this project...eventually...but for now, we'll start with strip and paint.

I used aircraft stripper for the heavy stuff...
20191229_162359.jpg

Then I moved on to wire wheels and sandpaper for that "Delorean" finish.
20191230_164105.jpg

I forgot to mention that I made new axles from steel rod and then some axle spacers on the lathe. I wish I took more pictures of that process because I have a lot to learn about turning things. I still haven't ever tried to cut threads on the lathe, but I'd like to learn.

20191215_142248.jpg

Next challenge - gas tank. The original gas tank mounted on the engine, but that ones long gone. The new engine came with a gas tank mounted on it, but the filler fell right beneath the frame rails. I needed a new solution. I looked high and low for weeks...Ebay...Amazon...mini bike part warehouses...but I found nothing. Then one day I saw an oil tank on a hardtail bobber Harley that I really liked. The manufacturer, TC Bros, actually sold a kit for you to assemble your own oil tank with filler, mounting bungs, and end caps. I dropped the order and had it in a couple days.
20200109_183218.jpg

So heavy!
20200110_150106.jpg

RossB, that is cool. Bikes have been a big part of my life as long as I can remember. After many 2 wheelers, mopeds, Triumphs, Hondas, a few dirt bikes, Cushmans and Harleys I still have a 2013 hog and my 1957 Allstate 811-30 scooter. By the time I could buy a new bike (2013) my better day were behind me. I built or repaired all my older machines. I have a 3hp motor in the garage and will be looking for a rolling chassis at the flea markets when the lock down ends here in Michigan. I envy your fun with that project, and salute your work. Keep it up!

That is sweet! We also had a mini-bike way back when. After my brothers had their fun with it, it finally got to be my turn. How I ever kept that thing on two wheels while reaching down to tweak the governor while on gravel is beyond me! HA Keep the pics coming!

Back