Fellow Taig Lathe Users?

Just chiming in to say I've got a brand new Taig! Although I opted to scrounge through my old motors instead of buying the Taig one. Found a 1/3 HP 1750 RPM motor I found in perfect condition 6 years ago in a scrap heap. I've been dragging it around all this time because I KNEW it would come in handy.

My hoarding instinct has been justified for a few more years. :)

I have the Taig lathe with many of the accessories. I use it occasionally but when I use it it does things I have no other way of doing. I also just bought a Unimat. I am going to set it up as a mill. I have the milling attachment for the Taig but the movement is not enough in many cases. don

N Shop 1.jpg I have both a Taig and a 40 year old Unimat. The Unimat has had quite a lot of use. I have done a small amount of milling with it but it is a chore. The biggest problem is that the head-stock is made to be used as a drill-press when mounted vertically. Making fine adjustments with the head-stock lever is hard. On the Yahoo Unimat forum there was a project shown that had an adjustable head-stock using a threaded rod for movement. I solved my problem by buying a MicroMark mill. Not the finest piece of equipment but it suffices for what I do.
Good luck.
Wayne

Last edited:
Back