[4]

Felt for lathe wipers needed

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dtsh

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I'll happily trade some materials, time, or cash as desired for a bit of felt as my lathe needs some and I don't have any. I can order some, but I suspect several folks here have acquired more than a lifetime's supply and would be willing to share. If you've got some to spare, let me know and we can work out the details via PM.

Thanks!

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Spare 1/4” f5 ? White felt,
Got it for a Sheldonlathe
But got too much,

Last edited:

dtsh

That's what I'm looking for, PM sent.

dlane

Active User
1/4” could be to thick it was for my Sheldon I had to make new brass covers , I’ll dig some out and see , should get into town next week to the post office.

homestead

Registered
You may have already solved your need, but for what it is worth....I use furniture anti scuff pad material...works...get at big box store.

dlane

Active User
Someone read our private messages and wanted me to post to the forum?. Any how the 1/4” felt was to thick for the covers that came on the Sheldon so I made some new ones, the steel jig I made is to bend the brass , the old felts are the black ones. Did your lathe have wipers ever ?.
85F1E366-3F40-4889-B6FB-71C7D61F60D8.jpeg

I’ll send you a 6x6” piece Monday.

aliva

Active User
Boot insoles cheap and plentiful

dlane

Active User
But stinky

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
That's what I'm looking for, PM sent.
Someone read our private messages and wanted me to post to the forum?. Any how the 1/4” felt was to thick for the covers that came on the Sheldon so I made some new ones, the steel jig I made is to bend the brass , the old felts are the black ones. Did your lathe have wipers ever ?.

Actually, I am thinking someone read this thread.

randyjaco

Active User
Old Setson's are a great source of felt :)

Randy

dtsh

Any how the 1/4” felt was to thick for the covers that came on the Sheldon so I made some new ones, the steel jig I made is to bend the brass , the old felts are the black ones. Did your lathe have wipers ever ?.
I'm not sure mine ever had wipers, when I had the saddle apart last fall I didn't notice any indication they ever existed, but admittedly I wasn't expressly looking for them at the time. I would refer back to the images I took then, but I apparently didn't take any of the relevant portions of the saddle. Either way, I intend to put some on it.

Thanks for the pic, that's pretty much what I was thinking but it's nice to see outside of my imagination.

dlane

Active User
dtsh : Are there small screw holes on the saddle above where it rides on the ways ? , are they prismatic or flat ways ?
Got a pic of saddle on ways ?,
Ok I went to lathes uk doesn’t look like any of them had way wipers , you’ll have to make covers and drill tap saddle to hold them on there.

dtsh

Thanks greatly. Perhaps I'll take better pictures this time!

When I'm working on something I take pics to ensure I can get it back together because I can't seem to remember what I was doing 10 minutes ago; though it seems to never fail that some detail always escapes notice and I spend way too long finding how some fiddly bit that I managed to miss, fits.

[6]
[5] [7]