Ferro Rod Holders (Fire Starters)

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Copy of a post from another forum, 5/2010

Unfortunately I don't have any WIP pics.

My buddy asked me to make a ferro rod holder so I did. Just plain ol aluminum but I thought it came out well so I thought I'd share.

"Seamless" (hidden between a groove)
Img_7744.jpg

5/16" diam rod with 1.5" length striking area. Threaded the rod with a common thread 5/16-24 so he could use a die to thread replacement rods if I'm not around.

Img_7755.jpg
Img_7760.jpg

Titanium 6Al4V versions

Img_4261.JPG
Img_4269.JPG
Img_4287.JPG

Pics courtesy of a friend.

P1040257.jpg
P1040252.jpg

Last edited:
Neat!
How hard was it to put threads on that rod? I recall that stuff being on the brittle side; I'd have thought it would chip out and look horrendous!

Beautiful work!

Thanks. I have also heard that they are brittle but that was after I made them.

They threaded pretty easily, I single pointed them on the lathe. But you have to keep them lubricated. On one of them I started threading dry, it sparked & ignited some chips laying on my gap. Wasn't a big deal but I was quickly reminded of the first small lathe fire I had.

I've also tried threading one using a die just to see if it could be done. That way anyone without a lathe could make their own replacements. It threaded fine.

Those are dang nice, and I own the same exact Snap-on scale with the same wording.

Nice, how did you color the titanium? They look like anodized Al.
Also what are the round cutter like things in some of the pics? Part of them?

Thanks everyone! :)

Very nice, Will. I have wished for one of those many times.

I believe I still have some ferro rod leftover. If I get some time I'll try to make it happen.

Nice, how did you color the titanium? They look like anodized Al.
Also what are the round cutter like things in some of the pics? Part of them?

I anodized them electrically. Ti can also be "anodized" using heat but you can't achieve as many colors & is less controllable for the color output.

The round things are beads that were hand made by my buddy in Norway. He wanted to play with some Ti so I sent him some blanks to play with.

Be great to carry in your pocket , if YA ever need a good hard fist in a fight . Surprising how having a fight change quickly with one wallop. Ask me how I know , I just do

Back