Few Questions for New Central Machinery lathe and setup

Blakd

Registered
Registered
I have recently bought a Central Machinery 7" X 10" lathe, a little machine shop 3486 Tooling Package, Grizzly H5692 Set of Int Threading/Boring Too Length Bits, and digital caliper.

I keep reading posts and articles on cleaning and lubing the lathe when I get it, some say 30w oil such as slideway oil, compressor oil or hydraulic oil and or White lithium grease.

My question is which guide to tear down and first setup is the the preferred or where is one that has the best and most up to date information?

Is there anything else I might need to turn aluminum stock?

I can provide a link to the tooling package I bought if you would like.

Last edited:
Whichever procedure you use will bw satisfactory. The key here is to get it apart, cleaned and well lubed when reassembled. Your attention to the details will make the little machine really come alive and be capable of doing some pretty amazing things. You will need to go ahead and get yourself a good sized handful of HSS bits to learn to sharpen them by hand and a good quality smooth stone on your 8 inch grinder. Keep a water cup nearby and if the bit gets hot to your fingers you should let it cool before proceeding. I use kerosene or diesel fuel to cut aluminum, but I do not have the shop in the house where the Mrs will be offended by the smell. I keep a change of clothes at the shop door that I wear when I am working in the shop and that stays outside except to be washed at the local automat (NOT IN MOMMA'S MACHINE!!!!!!). That keeps the peace and allows me to do whatever I wish in the shop with no complaints or comments about the smell or clutter. There is a break in procedure that the folks at HF have in the owners mahual for the 7X lathes that is a good procedure to follow to break in and seat the bearings once you get it cleaned and back together. Otherwise let your conscience be your guide on lube and you will be fine.

Bob

Thank you for the information. I have around 5 sites that I have been looking at and everyone has some of the same opinions/steps but then they all very with other things.

Is it alright to mention Tubalcain's many videos on metalworking. I first learned about him here on this most excellent site and have watched almost all of his videos. These are two excellent sources of info for us home users. I have had my Central Machinery 9x20 from Harbor Freight for almost 10 years now and am very satisfied with it. I have never had any formal training in the operation of the lathe but by visiting here and Tubalcain's sites I have been able to safely use and enjoy my new hobby.
Welcome and come here often.
NodakGary

Back