few questions

bluedxj

Active User
Registered
ive decided to start just one thread and add all the question im gona have as i dive into my new lathe. its a 101 model 12"x36".
first question is how do i remove the chuck? i dont have a dial indicator yet but when i cut something i can tell its got runout.
second what is this knob? im pretty sure its broken because the ones ive seen on ebay have a gear attached. but you can just freely pull it out of the bed.
IMG_1481_zps2072decb.jpg
i got a box full of tooling and was wonder what this is?
IMG_1482_zpsd46ca0e0.jpg
and last is there any kind of free owners manual i can download online? i mostly wana know how to lube everything. thanks.

IMG_1481_zps2072decb.jpg

IMG_1482_zpsd46ca0e0.jpg

I have no idea what the first item is but the secon is a drive dog. It clamps on the workpiece with the bent part pointed toward the headstock. It's uded when turning between centers to drive the workpiece from a dog plate or faceplate.

Chuck

1) The chuck is screwed on the spindle. It's a right hand thread. Do have steel back gears or zamak? ( makes a difference on the method to remove the chuck)

2) Looks like a feed knob. It the gear still in the carriage?

3) Driving dog. Used to hold round items between centers and the ear of the dog fit in a slot on the face plate.

The top picture looks like the knob to engage the cross feed.

The other is a dog that clamps your bar stock when turning between centers. It's used with a drive or face plate.

1) The chuck is screwed on the spindle. It's a right hand thread. Do have steel back gears or zamak? ( makes a difference on the method to remove the chuck)

2) Looks like a feed knob. It the gear still in the carriage?

3) Driving dog. Used to hold round items between centers and the ear of the dog fit in a slot on the face plate.

im not sure if the gears are steel or zamak how do i tell?
also not sure if the gear is in the carrage dont really know what to look for. ill go investigate. so that knob should provide power to the cross feed?

im not sure if the gears are steel or zamak how do i tell?
also not sure if the gear is in the carrage dont really know what to look for. ill go investigate. so that knob should provide power to the cross feed?

Can you take a picture of the gears? If they look cast, they're probably zamak. If they're solid, most likely steel.

How the cross feed works....The lead screws turns and drives a gear in the carriage. ( the gear has a single spline/key that is driven by the slot in the lead screw). When you pull that knob, it locks out the carriage feed and drives the cross feed.

Here's some pictures of my friend Dave's 12" Atlas showing the underside with the gear and a a parts diagram.
th_DCP_6309.jpg th_DCP_6306.jpg

th_DCP_6307.jpg th_DCP_6308.jpg

th_DCP_6309.jpg

th_DCP_6306.jpg

th_DCP_6307.jpg

th_DCP_6308.jpg

ya ill got snap some pics of the gears. i cant really see behind the carriage. how should i go about removing the carriage? id like to get in there and clean it all real good anywase.

ya ill got snap some pics of the gears. i cant really see behind the carriage. how should i go about removing the carriage? id like to get in there and clean it all real good anywase.

I haven't taken a carriage off yet. Dave's crossfeed gear is stripped and we haven't disassembled it yet. I stuck my camera under the carriage for the picture. You can hold a mirror and light under it to see up there too.

couple pics the lathe is pretty grimey plans are to go through the whole thing and clean it up hopefully with all your guys help and experiance.
IMG_1483_zps3fe596fa.jpg
IMG_1484_zps08e279ee.jpg

IMG_1483_zps3fe596fa.jpg

IMG_1484_zps08e279ee.jpg

Back