Field test for a digital dial indicator

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
I'm looking to buy a Mitutoyo Absolute Digital gauge off CL - it has a .5'' range. Is there a quick field test that I can do to roughly check its accuracy before committing to purchase?

I have another cheap Chinese indicator that I could bring along if necessary but not sure about its accuracy either, which makes it hard to determine accuracy of anything else.

UPDATE: I also have a magnetic base with a holding arm (vertical and horizontal).

Last edited:

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
You could set it up as a drop gage and check the difference between different blocks in a calibrated gage block set. I'm assuming this is a standard dial indicator.

This is a drop indicator setup.

1637078778211.png

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
I should have mentioned that I have have an indicator magnetic base but I don't have a granite block or drop indicator setup like that above. I'll have to look for something that I have which is measurable and exact.

Chewy

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I use gauge blocks and Mic standards to test everything that I buy. In your case. take a piece of steel and do a precision measurement and see if the indicator reads the same. Be careful at this time of year to make sure that the steel and indicator are both at room temperature. I bought a Mic last year and it was about 40 degrees in the mailbox. Took it inside and checked a standard and was off .003. An hour later when warmed p, it was in a couple of tenths.

If you need a flat plate for a base, bring along a piece of glass.

Rex Walters

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock