Field test for a digital dial indicator

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
I'm looking to buy a Mitutoyo Absolute Digital gauge off CL - it has a .5'' range. Is there a quick field test that I can do to roughly check its accuracy before committing to purchase?

I have another cheap Chinese indicator that I could bring along if necessary but not sure about its accuracy either, which makes it hard to determine accuracy of anything else.

UPDATE: I also have a magnetic base with a holding arm (vertical and horizontal).

Last edited:
You could set it up as a drop gage and check the difference between different blocks in a calibrated gage block set. I'm assuming this is a standard dial indicator.

This is a drop indicator setup.

1637078778211.png

I should have mentioned that I have have an indicator magnetic base but I don't have a granite block or drop indicator setup like that above. I'll have to look for something that I have which is measurable and exact.

I use gauge blocks and Mic standards to test everything that I buy. In your case. take a piece of steel and do a precision measurement and see if the indicator reads the same. Be careful at this time of year to make sure that the steel and indicator are both at room temperature. I bought a Mic last year and it was about 40 degrees in the mailbox. Took it inside and checked a standard and was off .003. An hour later when warmed p, it was in a couple of tenths.

If you need a flat plate for a base, bring along a piece of glass.

Back