Filament brands - please comment with your opinions

I'm a 3D printing noob, but I've been happy with the Prusament for PETG and PLA; haven't had a single issue. I've never shopped; no idea if its a good value. I'll be trying their ABS once I make an enclosure.

I find SPLA to be stronger, *if* you hit the right numbers. The temp window is narrower and a good bit higher than regular PLA. Get a bit too cold and it looks good, but layers separate easily. I also find that I have to change nozzles more often with SPLA.

As a noob on 3d printers, when do you have to replace the nozzle ? Is it after so many hours or the type of filament used? What happens if you don't?

With the SPLA, the nozzle will start gumming up. The print will start failing due to under-extruding. You can clean the nozzles with acetone and nozzle cleaning needles. At $10 for 50 nozzles, I quickly decided to replace them and keep on printin'.

Last edited:
Same with PLA, I would assume? So is it a wear issue?

Same with PLA, I would assume? So is it a wear issue?
i have been running the same nozzle in my Ender5 since it was new (more than 1-1/2 years old)
it has given me no reason to consider changing it
Conversely, on my Ender3 i change nozzles frequently, as it acts very funny if there is the slightest of blockage.
i also use more types of filament on the Ender3, PLA+ with carbon fiber will plug up or wear out a nozzle in a few prints, it seems.

the 2 printers share similar extruders,
i can't really explain why they act differently other than the printing speeds are higher on the E5,
but my nozzle temps are generally higher on the E3 :dunno:

The nozzles seem to last forever with PLA. I have issues after printing SPLA (PLA+) for a bit. SPLA is a blend of PLA and "other". My working theory, which is often wrong, is that higher temps required for the "other" is too hot for the base PLA. The PLA ends up scorched to the inside of the nozzle, restricting it.

The nozzles can be cleaned. But at the price point for the Mk8 nozzles, my time is worth much more to me.

My Prusa Mk3S+ kit came with an acupuncture needle for use cleaning the nozzle.

Ted

So does the Creality, and each batch of new nozzles. You have to retract the filament, lower the bed out of the way, heat the nozzle up to 220C, then try to thread the needle into the bottom of the hot nozzle upsidedown without burning your fingers while chasing the free-floating head around th X/Y plane. I changed to throwing the $0.25 nozzles away instead pretty early in the game. The gantry style E3 and Prusa may be a bit easier in that you don't have to chase the head around, and there is no upper frame in the way. but still.

The nozzles seem to last forever with PLA. I have issues after printing SPLA (PLA+) for a bit. SPLA is a blend of PLA and "other". My working theory, which is often wrong, is that higher temps required for the "other" is too hot for the base PLA. The PLA ends up scorched to the inside of the nozzle, restricting it.

The nozzles can be cleaned. But at the price point for the Mk8 nozzles, my time is worth much more to me.
my understanding is the SPLA, is PLA (which is derived from cornstarch and/or sugarcane) combined with PETG

Back