File and rasp storage.

finsruskw

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
where and how do you guys store your files to keep them from banging around in the drawers?
Looking for some ideas/suggestions.
Anything has to be better than just tossing them in a drawer!.
I have this nice set of files I picked up recently and want to keep them that way.
Thanks!!

I have used the plastic tubes but they take up a lot of space. Nice thing is you can see what each one is. Also used cloth baggies and they take up less space but you can't see what is in them. Of course a sharpie can take care of that.

You could get some large, cheap plastic cutting boards and mill spaces for your files. Drill a thru hole at the front of each one so the are easy to get out with your finger. Mike

I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood that fits perfectly into a tool box drawer.
Then cut a bunch of dadoes of thicknesses to match the files/rasps.....some wide some narrow.
Some were cut left to right and some back to front based on file lengths.
I can then store the files with one edge in these slots.
It makes it easy to see the difference and to grab the one you want.
I will try to get some photos.

-brino

I've always wanted to build something like a kitchen knife block, oh well, one of these days.

Grabbing me some popcorn. I'm interested in ideas too. I keep a few of my most used files out but my less used files I have thrown in a drawer with the cardboard sleeves they came in. Because they are in the drawer many times I'm too lazy to grab one to use. I'd like to change that.

I use manila folders cut and formed into sheaths to fit the file for protection. Just a few of the many files I have made sheaths for
1582105207709.png

Roy

Okay, here's the promised pictures.......

drawer front:
I have since stopped using sharpies on my cabinets (too hard to change without removing paint)
I do have some magnetic labels coming from amazon
drawer-front.jpg

full drawer contents:
the loooong rasps up front are almost as long as the drawer width
full-drawer.jpg

back-left:
these dadoes were cut on the table saw and the ends are radiused so I can push the end of a file and the tang will rise above the surface for retrieval
back-left.jpg

back-right:
back-right.jpg

front:
front.jpg

Full disclosure; I removed a couple things from the top of the drawer for these photos: a sleeve of small detail files, a sleeve of diamond files, and a few lengths of bicycle inner tube that I use for protective sleeves when I throw some in a tool-box for remote work.

-brino

Okay, here's the promised pictures.......

drawer front:
I have since stopped using sharpies on my cabinets (too hard to change without removing paint)
I do have some magnetic labels coming from amazon
View attachment 314117

full drawer contents:
the loooong rasps up front are almost as long as the drawer width
View attachment 314118

back-left:
these dadoes were cut on the table saw and the ends are radiused so I can push the end of a file and the tang will rise above the surface for retrieval
View attachment 314119

back-right:
View attachment 314120

front:
View attachment 314121

Full disclosure; I removed a couple things from the top of the drawer for these photos: a sleeve of small detail files, a sleeve of diamond files, and a few lengths of bicycle inner tube that I use for protective sleeves when I throw some in a tool-box for remote work.

-brino
At the risk of hijacking this thread, Brino your photos showing loose handles remind me how crappy all of the handles I've purchased. They all seem imprecise--either too loose or too tight. What's the secret to finding Goldilocks handles that fit just right?

Back