File card

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
What's the difference between a file card and a steel brush?
Tell me why I can't use my steel brush to clean my files.

I use a piece of wood going with the grain of the file ,gets most of the stuff out . I use a file card for the tough stuff
File cards have short stiff curved wires that don’t lay down like a wire brush dose. Wire dull’s a file faster than wood.

Shawn,

Try a short length of copper pipe plumbing tubing some time. After just a few strokes, the end of the tube takes the shape of the grooves
and is the best cleaning tool I have ever found for files. I use 1/2 inch but any diameter would do similarly. I have a file card as dlane
mentioned but don't use it. I havn't tried wood yet, might try some hardwood some time. Presently I'm thinkin the wood would be good
for a handle on a piece of copper pipe.

On my file card, the bristles are angled back toward the handle, rather than straight down. Also, they are quite fine. It doesn't work as well as I would like, and I have used both end grain wood and copper pipe to better effect.

A brass brush won't dull the file teeth. Another trick that I used when I used mill bastard file on aluinum was to invert one and match the grooves up with the other file. Sliding on against the other in the direction of the grooves would dislodge the aluminum filings from the file.

I have used file cards for all of my working life (over 50 years) and stand by them, especially the premium type that has a fiber brush on the side opposite the steel brush, and the flattened steel tool to remove the most recalcitrant pins. To lessen the pinning tendency to pin the file, especially with finish filing, chalk can be applied to the file, which really does make a difference; the thing to buy is railroad chalk, it comes in sticks about 4" long and 1" diameter.

I have always used a file card. Draw the card across the file toward you and with the file grooves. This has never damaged my files, just cleaned them. If you use it like a wire brush, yes you will ruin your file in short order. Someone is now going to ask about double cut files. I never use them. I think they are worthless.

I have always used a file card. Draw the card across the file toward you and with the file grooves. This has never damaged my files, just cleaned them. If you use it like a wire brush, yes you will ruin your file in short order. Someone is now going to ask about double cut files. I never use them. I think they are worthless.
I would not say worthless, but I do not much use them either, only for the roughest sort of work, talking mostly shaped files, such as square, round, and half round.

Seems like the folks that have a LOT of money invested in Swiss files continue to use file cards. But they also may be filing different materials & their patterns/tooth count may be different than home machinists. I've used file cards like this http://www.grobetusa.com/wire-bristle-cleaners/

..but personally I find a high quality brass or stainless bristle 'toothbrush' style brushes give me a bit more control. Seems like you have to orientate & stroke the shorter/stiffer file card bristles 'just so' or apply a bit more force. But maybe I'm doing it wrong. Files with longitudinal grooves clean easier that criss-cross pattern, that I know for sure looking under magnification. The toothbrush style removes everything & just seems easier to me, but personal opinion.

I've also heard that stainless bristles are bad news because they are hard enough to dull file teeth. I've never seen a Rockwell number for a stainless brush wire, but cant imagine they would go through that trouble. Yes there are some nasty aggressive looking paint stripper brushes out there but mine basically look like a toothbrush with metal bristles. I use my (yes Swiss) files on mild steel all the time, they are essentially as sharp as the day I bough them. Brass bristles would be safer bet on that basis & seem to do the job about as well.

I also have some NAm brand files (suspect made in Asia) and some Asian files (of course made in Asia) & basically after similar use they dull much quicker. No amount of maintenance will make a crappy file cut good. Once you have felt the difference in cutting action & control with a 'good' file, trust me its like the difference between a high quality Japanese steel cooking knife & something sold on late night infomercial LOL.

Back