File Testing

Jason does a good job of testing things, I wouldn't have the inclination to make that much of a fixture. I've never worried about backdragging a file.

The steel of a file is much too hard (non-malleable) to roll the edge by dragging backwards. It will chip first.

He had quicker cutting with the back drag also:)

There is a good reason on lifting the file on the return stroke and it has nothing to do with wear. When I come close to the desired dimension, I coat the workpiece with a magic marker. Run the file, then check the result. With practice, you can get when laying a straight edge or square there will be no light showing through. It does take practice. However, when one gets fairly good at it, you can save a lot of time. It's much quicker filing one or two edges instead of setting up the mill.

So much better to watch a video than trying to do the experiment. Very interesting, RJ, thanks!

He either has too much time on his hands or he doesn't like to be told no.
Maybe a little of both.
IMHO

Personally I liked the video as it destroys another myth thats preached out loud ad infinitum.
One I destroyed was the chalk in the file to prevent pinning.
Never worked for me but flooding with wd40 or similar product does and leaves a super surface.

I like WD40 for filing aluminum. Regarding the video, I will be waiting to see the results for a harder material.

I usually use the drag method but if I am going for a flat surface out to the edge, I think that there is less of a tendency to roll the edge of you lift on the back stroke. It is interesting that the file would cut on the back stroke as I think there is less control pf the file during the back stroke.

Back