Files- Brand And Country Of Mfr / Fyi

burnrider

Active User
Registered
Bought some Oregon Chainsaw files. The 5/32" and 5/16" are made in Switzerland. The Metric 4.5 mm files are made in Portugal. Had this discussion in the older forum, but it doesn't turn up in the search list anymore.

IMHO, the Swiss files are the best files made. I have some old German files that are very nice too.
i haven't seen any from Portugal.
i'm curious as to how they stack up against the Swiss or German files.

I have files from Switzerland, Germany, Sweden, Brazil and Portugal. I have not noticed much difference in the Portugese and Brazillian files. I don't have any needle or jewler's files but in the larger sizes they are good and the main difference is on the coating and the handles.

Paul.

Own lots of sizes, cuts, and lengths of chainsaw files ( parallel sides ) No
one will notice you moved that hole 0.004 to the right....... BLJHB

When you heat with wood, you end up with a lot of old chainsaw files. They make excellent scribes and center punches. They generally are quite hard and the fine teeth of the file gives a positive grip.

For scribes, I cut off the tang and cut to the desired length. I grind a fairly sharp angle (15 -20 degrees) on the opposite end.

For center punches, I cut them in half and sharpen to the desired point and heat the struck end to draw the temper to a deep blue to grey. I grind a sharper angle than normal to use as a prick punch prior to using a traditional center punch. The fine point and sharp angle allows me to hit the scribed center point more accurately.

When grinding, take it slow with frequent cooling to avoid drawing the temper.

Back