Files

Old timers trick that I learned many many years ago. If you use a file without a handle on a lathe, you turn the file backwards and pull instead of push the file. Les chance of catching on something and it will pull the file from your hand rather than puncture your hand.
Still best to use a handle.

Richard

When using a file on the lathe, I always hold it so the end of the tang is held away from my fingers and the palm so if it does grab, it will shoot past my hand. This is also one of the few times when being a lefty is beneficial as I am standing away from the headstock instead of in front of it. If the file were to launch out of my grip, my body is safely out of the way. I also don't have a death grip in the far end of the file to reduce the possibility of pulling my hand into the work.

A friend recently commented on my filing form on the lathe, noting that it looked like I'd done a lot of it. I don't even think about it much, but I instinctively hold the file handle in my left hand (I'm a rightie) and the opposite end with my right. This puts my body out of the line of fire and reduces the likelihood of contacting the chuck. It only took one incident with the sharp edges of soft jaws to teach me this technique. The scars have healed.

I would NEVER use a file in the lathe without a handle; this I was taught in high school, now nearly 60 years ago. Filing with the left hand is quite a good ideal, I wish I had the coordination to do it, a lot of old timers did it that way, I think it probably started with belt driven lathes to keep away from the moving belt.

I go to the dollar store and buy putty knives. Pull out the blades. Then use a center drill to give a start point in the middle of the "smile." Heat the file tang with a torch and push it on. Simple $1 file handle, non-slip surfaces, even a hanging hole. Once the file cools, the re-solidified plastic holds it nicely
kHPIM6336.jpg

kHPIM6338.jpg

kHPIM6339.jpg

Last edited:
Back