Filling a Clausing 1300 headstock oil tank

Zipp0

Registered
Registered
I am working up a Clausing 1300 I purchased (along with other equipment and tooling from a machinists estate sale). The machines are very clean and came with a complete set of manuals. Next on my list is to replace all the oil and I am a bit stymied on filling the headstock oil tank. I searched on the threads but came up blank. I reckon I have found the drain and there is a hex plug on the top right of the tank but it is recessed under the top. The manual says 5 pints of oil (so there is quite a bit to put in). Would anyone know if that is it or is there another filler plug set into the top (under the rubber mat?) or any other location?.

Many thanks,

~Zip

20:00h update...

Took the rubber mat off and it was attached to the top of the gearbox... so the top came off and all the gears exposed and all I have to do is pour the oil into the tank.

Manuals - usually written by someone who knows how it works and they (unconsciously) assume a reader's knowledge.

The project is progressing remorselessly - all lubrication will be finished by Friday and then leveling. The floor is really flat so a bit of tinkering and it should be good (btw - the mill DRO fired up and started working).

~Zip

Back