Filling holes in table

32chevy

Registered
Registered
My fathers delta drill press spent its life in a high school metal shop, its full of holes through the table. Has anyone had experience in filled their table? Is it's possible succesfully weld the holes and surface grind the table?

My fathers delta drill press spent its life in a high school metal shop, its full of holes through the table. Has anyone had experience in filled their table? Is it's possible succesfully weld the holes and surface grind the table?
Why do you want to fill the holes? Can you still clamp work to the surface?

I'll have to post pictures and get get your opinion. It looks bad.

I'd recommend a cold repair with epoxy, maybe with metal plugs, no chance of warpage that way.
Mark S.

I've always wondered if tapered, threaded, ductile iron plugs (like used in engine block repair) wouldn't make the blemishes disappear.... Irontite™ is one of the brands.

If it has no T slots, you can bolt a peice of 1/4 or 3/8 plate to the table with countersunk fixings and flycut it from the spindle. Seen this done several times, and it leaves an undetectable repair, unless you look underneath. Fit the countersunk screws to the plate, weld over the heads, gind off flush, then flycut from the spindle to finish . You can do it with T slots, but more complex.

Devcon makes some metal epoxies that look like and have metal in them. Hard to beat for repairs like that. They list several kinds of metal , even real expensive metals. I've got some to do mine but haven't been able to get them done. Couple vises and drill presses I'm going to do.

I've used the devcon metal epoxy. It does a great job of filling the holes and is very easy to do. In some things it's tough to see the patch, others they stick out. For me filled has always been the priority.

Mix in grinder dust which is the pile of steel inside the bench grinder covers.

Wash out the abrasives then with magnet collet ferrous stuff then clean with acetone and mix into epoxy to make steel putty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back