Filling in scope mount holes in a receiver/barrel

hotrats

andy harwood
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've got a Remington Model 12C, that 4 holes were drilled in the receiver, and 2 holes in the barrel for scope mount, I'm assuming. I bought it years ago for cheap, just drug it out and except for the holes, is in pretty good shape, crescent butplate, even the wood is in good condition. I'd like to fill in the receiver/barrel holes, and reblue. What would be the best avenue to repair the holes?
Thanks in advance!
Andy

There is actually such a thing available called "Plug Screws"

The other option is to put in a screw really tight along with red loctite and grind it down to flush before bluing.

I had a Win ‘94 that someone had drilled for side mount. Did the same, filled with soft steel bolt. Ground close and peened the screw to fill the gaps. Then I filed to close finish size and polished to match the receiver. Had the receiver reblued. The color was very close and could only be seen in the right light.
When I sold it, I showed the buyer the repair, he admitted not seeing it and it was of no concern for him.
Pierre

A lot of people have been through this and your options have no definitive answer.

For a little .22 pump, maybe you don't need a scope. Lotta people don't. But apparently someone did.
So your task is to fill those holes like they never existed and I hate to break this to you, that's never gonna happen. It will always leave a mark and a trace unless you get really lucky.

The screws will be of a different metallurgy than the receiver, which is slightly different than the barrel. If you were trying to do a full-up, hot-dip reblue on this thing, you'd probably be fighting it to get a good match. So the off-color pimples from the screws, no matter how well ground and finished, will probably always be there. Restoring this to exactly collector grade original is basically off-the-table, though you might get close.

Alternately, just buy some plug screws and tighten them in. Who knows? Maybe someday you'll change your mind about a scope. Besides, maybe the next guy will think of it as a "feature" and be grateful for the work already done.

Another reson for the plugs is that many guns come from the factory with plug screws in the scope mount holes. By using plug screws it will look like factory scope mount holes. As mentioned above, there are also people like me that would apreciate having the holes there. Due to eye issues I must have a scope on almost everything. The only thing I do not have a scope or laser on is some CC guns that are more point and shoot to be used at very close range.

I had a Win ‘94 that someone had drilled for side mount. Did the same, filled with soft steel bolt. Ground close and peened the screw to fill the gaps. Then I filed to close finish size and polished to match the receiver. Had the receiver reblued. The color was very close and could only be seen in the right light.
When I sold it, I showed the buyer the repair, he admitted not seeing it and it was of no concern for him.
Pierre
If you could find a steel rod close in metalurgy to your barrel and cut your own screws should be a close match.

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking that plugs/screws would be the choice. That's the route I'll take. I've owned this one probably 20 years, and another nicer one for about 10-15, never shot either... lol. I've just always had a soft spot for these rifles, as my Grandfather's Model 12 was the first firearm I ever shot.

Put in plug screw or something else tig weld over it. Acid dip receiver and the hot blue

acid dip blends the dissimilar metals I am told

parkerizing would blend screws better than bluing

peening the screws usually elimimates the seam between male and female threads. or, it at least helps

Back