Filsmith lathe

Jake1017

Registered
Registered
New to the site here, I picked up a filsmith lathe last Sunday and I’m looking for some advice. The apron is cracked, I have a lead on somebody to repair that, but my compound rest has been broken into pieces and jb welded back together. I’ve only seen a couple of these lathes pop up on forums so I know I’m probably not going to find a replacement, maybe have a new one made? Other than that the lathe is in pretty good shape, just needs a good cleaning. Thanks!D0F00745-82B0-475B-AFFC-C21DDB6522CE.jpeg

Not a lot of info on that brand but it looks pretty hefty
-M

Welcome to the site. Looks like your going to have to make new, or modify an existing part from a similar sized machine. There are still a few small foundry's around. A new casting could be molded from the old one. Kind of depends on how much time/money you want to put into it. That said, this is kind of what the hobby is about. Fixing old stuff, other people would throw out. If it was about making money instead of spending it, most of us wouldn't be here. Of course that doesn't mean these things can't be done with a high level of frugality, and a little out of the box thinking. Will look forward to following along on your repairs. Cheers, Mike

Back