Fims # 4 toolpost

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just wondering if anyone uses a Fims post on here .

Is that when people brag about how big their lathe is and how big of a tool post it takes but then others figure out they don't actually own the said big lathe?

Foot In Mouth Syndrome. :big grin:

I think I have 15 or so tool holders for the above post . Norman is right down the road from me so I may have to pick this up if the price is right . I could then sell the entire package and clear out a spot in the basement . :rolleyes:

I never heard of it before, had to look it up. I've never seen one of those. Reminds of a cross between an Aloris & a KDK. Do Aloris holders fit on it?

No , they don't Will . These are in between the CXAs and CAs . I guess it's always possible to alter the dovetail to CAs but I already have my CXAs .

I see, thanks Dave. This is my "learned something new" for the day. :)

So on another note , they also have this sitting down there rusting away . Most likely the VS drive is gone . Wonder how much effort would be needed to set this up with a VFD ?

I have a FIMS tool post on my SB Heavy 10. Best tool post that's ever been made. (Yes, better than Aloris) It has 3 channels on the tool post so you can get up close to the tail stock. They made tool holders for just about every operation you can think of on a lathe. If you can score the tool post with holders, you won't be disappointed. The tool holders are fairly hard to come by especially for the smaller tool posts. I made a bunch for myself, and have made a few for members on here. Aloris tool holders, while close don't fit. FIMS is still in business today in NJ, though they don't have any parts for them. They were also made by DoAll and another co. I can't think of at the moment.

Last edited:
I agree , that 3rd channel is handy when getting close to the tailstock . I may just have to pick that post up to complete the set .

I have a FIMS tool post on my SB Heavy 10. Best tool post that's ever been made. (Yes, better than Aloris) It has 3 channels on the tool post so you can get up close to the tail stock. They made tool holders for just about every operation you can think of on a lathe. If you can score the tool post with holders, you won't be disappointed. The tool holders are fairly hard to come by especially for the smaller tool posts. I made a bunch for myself, and have made a few for members on here. Aloris tool holders, while close don't fit. FIMS is still in business today in NJ, though they don't have any parts for them. They were also made by DoAll and another co. I can't think of at the moment.
I just picked up a 17x40 lathe with a FIMS 60 tool post. Estate sale and sadly all the tooling is gone. Do you know if there are different sizes of tool for this QCTP or anything FINS on Ebay will fit?

Back