Finally getting my G0602 setup!

gun410

Registered
Registered
Hello, it’s been a minute since I’ve posted, I’ve been busy with work but I’m wanting to get back on my lathe. I had a few problems with my grizzly so I’m working on getting it dialed before starting on a few projects. I swapped the compound clamp for a more rigid 6 bolt one that helped, and I got an er40 chuck & backplate. I’m concerned about the backplate though because the 3 & 4 jaw chucks that came with the lathe have 2 little clamps that screw on to the backplate, clamping on the spindle to get a better attachment than just using the spindle thread alone. The er40 backplate doesn’t have the extra collar extending past the treads (where the little clamps screw in). I also have to worry about machining the backplate,
but I’m asking if I can use this with just the spindle thread or if I need to get a new backplate. My other problem I need to fix is what my lathe is mounted on. Right now my lathe is on a harbor freight tool cabinet (on roller wheels) and I want to find a more solid solution so I don’t have any lathe twist and that way I can level the lathe if I need to. Any insight & advice on the chuck or my lathe stand would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
0e1a7c6f872158f9f218f5db6fceb2a5.jpg

8f0d61b85ced6e1d660460a20beb7a70.jpg
74ff411454ee0261618fcd5844dc0341.jpg

c62bfca9efc5b17a4013ff2226a5b1f7.jpg

Last edited:
My Enco 9x20 has the same screw on clip. I think that it is mostly there to help keep the chuck on if run in reverse (odd because the 9x20 doesn't have reverse). This size lathe is mostly aimed at hobbyists so not surprising that they add an extra safety margin to ensure the chuck screwed on well.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it not being on your collet chuck. My Sherline is threaded as is my 11x24 Powermatic (which does have a reverse) and nether of them have any kind of thread locking screw.

Do make sure you get it on good though before starting the lathe, I did spin my chuck off once on the 11x24. I started to put it on, screwed it on most of the way but not snugged up. I got distracted by something and forgot to finish the job, turned on the lathe and about a second later BAM chuck came off hit my thigh and rolled down my leg then off my foot. A 6" chuck doing that will get your attention, but it was absolutely user error caused by leaving the chuck loose on the spindle. I've now added a rule to go along with never leave the chuck key in the chuck, never leave the chuck on the spindle unless it is tight, on or off but never loose. Scared the heck out of me, but thankfully I always wear an apron, pants and boots when running my machines, so it was just an oh crap moment, no injuries. My leg and foot cushioned the chucks trip to the floor and prevented it from sustaining any damage. It could have been much worse.

Last edited:
Lathes have been made for hundreds of years with screw on chucks and faceplates and have gotten along just fine without little clips, especially if not run in reverse; if desired to run in reverse, the chuck must be screwed on tight, and light cuts taken, I have my doubte if little clips would prevent a chuck screwing off to any extent while operated in reverse.

The clips are actually quite substantial, I have no problems cutting in reverse (but mostly threading)

For the backplate you are showing, that is the wrong backplate. LMS and Grizzly both sell correct ones. The backplate must/should butt up against the spindle boss to seat properly.

Hello, it’s been a minute since I’ve posted, I’ve been busy with work but I’m wanting to get back on my lathe. I had a few problems with my grizzly so I’m working on getting it dialed before starting on a few projects. I swapped the compound clamp for a more rigid 6 bolt one that helped, and I got an er40 chuck & backplate. I’m concerned about the backplate though because the 3 & 4 jaw chucks that came with the lathe have 2 little clamps that screw on to the backplate, clamping on the spindle to get a better attachment than just using the spindle thread alone. The er40 backplate doesn’t have the extra collar extending past the treads (where the little clamps screw in). I also have to worry about machining the backplate,
but I’m asking if I can use this with just the spindle thread or if I need to get a new backplate. My other problem I need to fix is what my lathe is mounted on. Right now my lathe is on a harbor freight tool cabinet (on roller wheels) and I want to find a more solid solution so I don’t have any lathe twist and that way I can level the lathe if I need to. Any insight & advice on the chuck or my lathe stand would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Grizzly does not list a threaded backplate for the 602 in their catalog. The 602 has a 1-3/4"-8 tpi spindle. But they sell the OEM 5 and 6" backplates as replacement parts. I bought the 5" backplate for my 5C collet chuck. The mounting holes didn't match the 5C chuck so I machined new holes offset by 120º. There was plenty of meat to machine a new register.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies, earlier today I machined the backplate and got the chuck mounted. I didn’t have time to test the runout but when I turned on the lathe it looked very good and seemed to be running true without the use of the tru set screws.

I see that some of y’all are saying the chuck is incorrect. It doesn’t have the extra collar that slides on to the portion behind the threads. Is that essential? Do I need to get another chuck or would this backplate work? I found another backplate but it would be nice if I could use the one I have, and I don’t know if it has the right placed and threaded holes.

Either way if I have to get another backplate or not, the collet chuck should be good to go and will make a really nice addition to the lathe. But there is still another problem I need to address...

The lathe isn’t that stable at all, it’s on a tool cabinet that is a little shaky when using the lathe. I would like to figure out a more rigid base for the lathe for sturdiness and it would allow me to finally level the lathe. These are the options that I thought of
1. Take the roller caster wheels off and fab up some leveling legs out of sum grade 8 bolts. The cabinet’s top is wood so I wood have to figure out something else to prevent twist
2. Or I was thinking of designing & welding up a new lathe stand out of steel with the same style leveling feet. This is what I’m leaning more towards but it would suck that I wouldn’t have the storage area below like the tool cabinet. If someone’s been through this before I would appreciate to hear or see what your solution was for a stand. Thanks

2. Or I was thinking of designing & welding up a new lathe stand out of steel with the same style leveling feet. This is what I’m leaning more towards but it would suck that I wouldn’t have the storage area below like the tool cabinet. If someone’s been through this before I would appreciate to hear or see what your solution was for a stand. Thanks

I've seen people build a frame that will allow a tool chest to sit inside it. If you remove the wheels from the chest that should drop the top by 4 or 5" providing you with a fair amount of leeway in the height to adjust to your preference. More solid, you choose the height, and you can maintain the drawers and shelving for storage.

That sounds like a great idea, it would be nice to still keep the tool cabinet’s storage. Do you have any photos of that kinda lathe stand?

I’m still hoping that I can use the backplate I’ve already machined. If not that’s fine too I can get a different backplate, but the shars one I was looking at is unfortunately the wrong size. Would my current backplate without the collar make that big of difference or hinder accuracy while machining?

There have been several posts where people have done this, but not as easy to find them.

Here is one very nice set up, there are some others in this thread as well.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...e-for-a-model-9-a-sb-lathe.25776/#post-229500

I found this one with a cad model which may be helpful if you want to do something similar. It appears this poster went in a different direction, but the plans may still be useful is adjusted to your needs.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/parametric-openscad-mill-stand-model.73532/

As far as your back plate, I don't think the collar / clip is a big deal but if I'm understanding ub27's comment, there may be an issue with how it registers on the spindle. Some back plates have a significant amount of material which you could turn down to match up to the spindle register, but not being familiar with that specific lathe / back plate, I'm not sure if you can do that here or not.

A picture of the back plate showing its threads would help determine if it can be fixed. On the backplate I ordered (as a spare part) from Grizzly I had to slightly enlarge the rear hole so it would go over the chuck boss. I did this by threading it on reversed from normal position. You can get the required dimension from the plate on your 3 or 4 jaw chuck.

Back