Finally got a Gerstner and Sons box!

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been wanting a USA built Gerstner and Sons box for a while now. I did pick up a large set of upper and lower Gerstner International boxes a while back, used, at a very good price, but I wanted a "real" Gerstner! :)

It was a Craig's List find. It's in excellent shape! It's a model O41C per the tag. Only has one tiny chip on one corner of one of the drawers. Also, it came with a substantial amount of tools, mostly Starrett, some Union, all of which are in immaculate condition!

I'm not disclosing how much I paid in fear of all the "YOU SUCK!!!" comments (Bring 'em on! LoL).;) But I'll say I would have paid more for just the empty box, if I had to, than I gave for the whole package!

Just a note: comparing this Gerstner to the Gerstner Internationals that I picked up, the International isn't far behind in quality. I've heard that some are inferior, but maybe it depends on the time frame it was purchased??? Or maybe the luck of the draw? Anyways, I'm keeping them! They are nice too!

Ted

IMG_20190625_161252.jpgIMG_20190625_161308.jpgIMG_20190625_161318.jpgIMG_20190625_161326.jpgIMG_20190625_161346.jpgIMG_20190625_161356.jpgIMG_20190625_161431.jpgIMG_20190625_161445.jpgIMG_20190625_161511.jpgIMG_20190625_162432.jpg

That's a nice set of tools you got with the box. Suckage is definitely indicated!

YOU SUCK!!! There ya feel better? No seriously that is a monster score. One of those once or twice in a lifetime deals. Congratulations.

It's funny when looking for something that one desires just shows up and beyond expectations. Well done.

I've come across many, many, many similar machinist boxes during my hunts, cant tell how many 100's of drawers I've opened to see contents. But I will have to say your purchase has some very nice and valuable cherries inside, the condition of them look excellent to mint that's not typical. I think you'll be very surprised of what some of those items are worth on e bay. Hopefully you'll find the tools inside just as useful for you as the box will be. Cheers

I dunno, Ted, that find has a pretty high suckage factor! I bet the original owner treasured that box of tools. Do you know the back story?

I dunno, Ted, that find has a pretty high suckage factor! I bet the original owner treasured that box of tools. Do you know the back story?

All I know is the guy who owned them was retired and recently passed away at the age of 76. A friend of his (or his family) was selling them for the estate. He said two or three times he knew that they were worth more money than what was asked. Maybe they just wanted to get rid of stuff??? He said it was either sell them or donate them.

I was very lucky to be the first to contact him on this sale. I'll put them to good use.

Ted

I have a 1937 Gerstner and a 1916 chest of un-known manufacturer , my Uncles' and his fathers' . They are nice to look at but for me impractical , ( I can fit more tools in 1 drawer in a Vidmar ) but maybe one day they'll sit on a mantle up in the mountains . Good find Ted ! :encourage:

The fire pit will be loaded with very nice wood tool boxes in the morning from the shop . I can't purchase the wood for what I can sell these for , thus , we move on . Fire pics in the morning . :)

Back