VN Finally Got A Slotter Attachment

Finally picked up a slotter attachment that I have been looking for. Probably paid a bit much, but it's practically new. Stripped it and cleaned out the old gunk. Back together already, quickest rebuild yet. Missing one oil cap and the arbor, but I have a print for the arbor. All I did was clean it.

IMG_20160428_164755844.jpg

IMG_20160428_171005012.jpg
IMG_20160428_171013139_HDR.jpg

Jason

View attachment 242573
Here is a couple of sets of Pratt & Whitney slotter cutters that I use on my 6" P&W slotter and my #2 Brown & Sharpe slotting attachment; they all have 1/2" diameter shanks. When making them, they need very little side clearance since they do not feed over like a lathe tool, also note that most of them have the taper carried back a short distance and are straight the rest of the way back to keep the shank as ridgid as possible. I made the one that is third from the left in the front row (the square one) out of a HSS round tool bit before I was able to find the sets shown.
These slotters were know by there action as a "Jumping Jack"

You can get drill blanks that are pre-hardened to Rockwell C-65. Grind them to whatever you need, just like you would an HSS lathe too blank.

I ended up grinding a piece of HSS. 2+ hours later, I had what I needed. It worked well.

IMG_20180107_141235419_HDR.jpg

I took between 10 and 20 grand per stroke, and it didn't have any issues.

Jason

Due to a clutch sticking problem with my 6" Pratt & Whitney slotter, I set my Brown & Sharpe slotting head up today to cut a metric keyway in a blind hole with a drilled hole for run out of the cutter (today) I used a 3/16 cutter that I reground to 4 mm, and in answer to one of the questions above, I fed it into the cut by hand, a few thousandths at a time each time that the tip of the cutter was out of the cut at the top of the stroke.
When I got the attachment, I took it all apart and cleaned everything up, but never got around to painting it.

slotter 002.JPG

slotter 003.JPG

slotter 004.JPG

Finally picked up a slotter attachment that I have been looking for. Probably paid a bit much, but it's practically new. Stripped it and cleaned out the old gunk. Back together already, quickest rebuild yet. Missing one oil cap and the arbor, but I have a print for the arbor. All I did was clean it.

View attachment 127990

View attachment 127991
View attachment 127992

Jason
Hello: I have a slotting attachment for my Kearney and Trecker 2hl horizontal.. Like a little shaper, it will do things that you cannot normally do with a milling machine....Great for internal key ways, splines, square holes, etc.. You are gonna love it! Mike in Louisiana

Its used for cutting internal keyways and slots in things. There's no tool in it now.

You can't edit thread titles, and I have only had 4 hours of sleep since yesterday.

Jason
Would like to see a video of it in operation, would be interesting to see.

Back