[4]

VN Finally Got A Slotter Attachment

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Finally picked up a slotter attachment that I have been looking for. Probably paid a bit much, but it's practically new. Stripped it and cleaned out the old gunk. Back together already, quickest rebuild yet. Missing one oil cap and the arbor, but I have a print for the arbor. All I did was clean it.

IMG_20160428_164755844.jpg

IMG_20160428_171005012.jpg
IMG_20160428_171013139_HDR.jpg

Jason

Comments

View attachment 242573
Here is a couple of sets of Pratt & Whitney slotter cutters that I use on my 6" P&W slotter and my #2 Brown & Sharpe slotting attachment; they all have 1/2" diameter shanks. When making them, they need very little side clearance since they do not feed over like a lathe tool, also note that most of them have the taper carried back a short distance and are straight the rest of the way back to keep the shank as ridgid as possible. I made the one that is third from the left in the front row (the square one) out of a HSS round tool bit before I was able to find the sets shown.
These slotters were know by there action as a "Jumping Jack"

You can get drill blanks that are pre-hardened to Rockwell C-65. Grind them to whatever you need, just like you would an HSS lathe too blank.

I ended up grinding a piece of HSS. 2+ hours later, I had what I needed. It worked well.

IMG_20180107_141235419_HDR.jpg

I took between 10 and 20 grand per stroke, and it didn't have any issues.

Jason

Due to a clutch sticking problem with my 6" Pratt & Whitney slotter, I set my Brown & Sharpe slotting head up today to cut a metric keyway in a blind hole with a drilled hole for run out of the cutter (today) I used a 3/16 cutter that I reground to 4 mm, and in answer to one of the questions above, I fed it into the cut by hand, a few thousandths at a time each time that the tip of the cutter was out of the cut at the top of the stroke.
When I got the attachment, I took it all apart and cleaned everything up, but never got around to painting it.

slotter 002.JPG

slotter 003.JPG

slotter 004.JPG

Finally picked up a slotter attachment that I have been looking for. Probably paid a bit much, but it's practically new. Stripped it and cleaned out the old gunk. Back together already, quickest rebuild yet. Missing one oil cap and the arbor, but I have a print for the arbor. All I did was clean it.

View attachment 127990

View attachment 127991
View attachment 127992

Jason
Hello: I have a slotting attachment for my Kearney and Trecker 2hl horizontal.. Like a little shaper, it will do things that you cannot normally do with a milling machine....Great for internal key ways, splines, square holes, etc.. You are gonna love it! Mike in Louisiana

[6]
[5] [7]