VN Finally Got A Slotter Attachment

Finally picked up a slotter attachment that I have been looking for. Probably paid a bit much, but it's practically new. Stripped it and cleaned out the old gunk. Back together already, quickest rebuild yet. Missing one oil cap and the arbor, but I have a print for the arbor. All I did was clean it.

IMG_20160428_164755844.jpg

IMG_20160428_171005012.jpg
IMG_20160428_171013139_HDR.jpg

Jason

Its used for cutting internal keyways and slots in things. There's no tool in it now.

You can't edit thread titles, and I have only had 4 hours of sleep since yesterday.

Jason

What does the tooling look like. I have a slotter head for my Maho - have not got around to cleaning it up, sorting out the tooling and giving it a try. One day . . . . .

This thing puts it's own words in also , just wondering how it operates, mill, shaper attachment?.

It bolts to the cutter head of the smaller Van Norman Mills, in this case the 6, 12, and 16. It may work on others too.

I can't find a pic online, so I'll take one tomorrow sometime and post it.

As for the tooling, I don't know what the original stuff looked like, but I am planning on using 1/2" drill rod and grinding it to what I think will work. Probably use the surface grinder and the grind all to keep things consistent. I guess I now have a reason to wire the grinder up.

Jason

slotter cutters 001.JPG
Here is a couple of sets of Pratt & Whitney slotter cutters that I use on my 6" P&W slotter and my #2 Brown & Sharpe slotting attachment; they all have 1/2" diameter shanks. When making them, they need very little side clearance since they do not feed over like a lathe tool, also note that most of them have the taper carried back a short distance and are straight the rest of the way back to keep the shank as ridgid as possible. I made the one that is third from the left in the front row (the square one) out of a HSS round tool bit before I was able to find the sets shown.

Not on this phone, I'll take a pic this week. I had to make it. Haven't used it yet, but I have a project in November that will need it.

Back