VN Finally Got A Slotter Attachment

Finally picked up a slotter attachment that I have been looking for. Probably paid a bit much, but it's practically new. Stripped it and cleaned out the old gunk. Back together already, quickest rebuild yet. Missing one oil cap and the arbor, but I have a print for the arbor. All I did was clean it.

IMG_20160428_164755844.jpg

IMG_20160428_171005012.jpg
IMG_20160428_171013139_HDR.jpg

Jason

The slotter arrived. It uses the Twin woodruff keys. The drive arbor should be straight forward to make. No need for drawings. Thanks anyway Jason.

I would enjoy a video showing the movement of the slotter attachment. Since many accessories for the VN are hard to find.

What is the stroke?

Thank you for the video.

I'm assuming the depth of broach is handled manually by the feed in and out of table? What is an acceptable depth of cut for broaching?

I have never used one before, but I believe .002" - .004" per pass. I'm also not sure the best way to feed it either. A shaper has an intermittent feed mechanism which is what I think would be best, but I don't know how you accomplish that with a slotting attachment on a mill.

Today ended in failure. Ground my first tool from 1/2" drill rod, and it didn't work out too well. I'll try again tomorrow.

Jason

Today ended in failure. Ground my first tool from 1/2" drill rod, and it didn't work out too well. I'll try again tomorrow.

Jason
A tool made from O-1 would have to be hardened and tempered after rough grinding, then honed sharp. High speed steel might be a better choice.

I should have know better, I was in a hurry and lazy. I can touch up what I have and harden it, and start over. The drill rod was just easy, as it was already round.

Jason

Back