Finally got Logan/ MW 2136 Home

Hello All,
Months ago, I posted a few pictures of a old 1948 MW lathe my father -in-law had in his garage, has not run in more than 30 years.

Finally got the chance to get it home and have not completely set it up yet but I am noticing a lot of backlash in the Cross Feed and Compound Feed Screws/nuts ( I mean like 60 thousandths in the cross feed).

Just a very beginning newbie in this hobby and thinking I should just break down and get the new parts, around $440 dollars, and start on a machine that is relatively accurate as opposed to trying to learn to machine the parts myself as a early project. I am curious as to what some of you with lots of experience think. I would rather spend that money on tooling etc. if possible but don't want to get ahead of myself.

Second Part of the question. I am assuming the feed nuts have most of the wear. I was surprised to find the cross feed nut appears to be cast iron as apposed to bronze or brass. Would it be prudent to just replace the cross feed and compound nuts first (about a $100 investment) and see how much it improves the backlash and then replace the screws if necessary... or is that penny wise and pound foolish?

Thanks for your thoughts. Pictures of the lathe are on a earlier post back in December.

JohnView media item 95203
84TLC 2136 right.
Mine is the same year I think.
Hello All,
Months ago, I posted a few pictures of a old 1948 MW lathe my father -in-law had in his garage, has not run in more than 30 years.

Finally got the chance to get it home and have not completely set it up yet but I am noticing a lot of backlash in the Cross Feed and Compound Feed Screws/nuts ( I mean like 60 thousandths in the cross feed).

Just a very beginning newbie in this hobby and thinking I should just break down and get the new parts, around $440 dollars, and start on a machine that is relatively accurate as opposed to trying to learn to machine the parts myself as a early project. I am curious as to what some of you with lots of experience think. I would rather spend that money on tooling etc. if possible but don't want to get ahead of myself.

Second Part of the question. I am assuming the feed nuts have most of the wear. I was surprised to find the cross feed nut appears to be cast iron as apposed to bronze or brass. Would it be prudent to just replace the cross feed and compound nuts first (about a $100 investment) and see how much it improves the backlash and then replace the screws if necessary... or is that penny wise and pound foolish?

Thanks for your thoughts. Pictures of the lathe are on a earlier post back in December.

JohnView media item 95203

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

John,

I have the same machine. The nuts on mine are cast iron as well. As you've probably noticed, the new ones that Logan sells are brass. I think in your situation, I would start with just replacing the cross feed nut. Then get yourself tooled up and see how it goes. If the backlash is still a problem, you can replace the screw later. I wouldn't worry about the compound initially, as you won't be using it as much as the cross slide.

Enjoy your new machine!
You took the cross slide off, and looked at the nut I gather, right?
If I'm remembering right, there was a Phillips screw holding the "cross nut" is it called?
Well the screw was pretty loose, tightening the screw took most of the backs out.
Of course sounds like you did have it apart.
Nice little lathe, for what I do.
Id like to find some kegs and a chip pan.
It's on a shop made stand.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Sorry to take so long to respond. I don't get much time on the computer these days. I appreciate your thoughts, I have had it apart but did not pay much attention to the screw holding the nut. I will check that out. I hope I can get the machine leveled and start learning soon.

Ok, so finally had a chance to do something. Given my lack of experience and tools, I took a fairly easy way out of this set screw problem until I can either buy or make more of the parts. Taking the advice to start making chips before spending too much money.

I filled the chowderd up holes with jb weld mixed with steel filings on both the shaft and the collar. I then drilled and tapped a new 8 x 32 thread hole on a different plane on the collar to not have the new set screw hitting the jb weld area. I am just using plastic thumb screws until I can machine some brass ones hopefully in the near future.

This machine came with set screws and I will use them when needed but thought thumb screws would be more convenient most of the time.

I still have a great deal of backlash even after adjusting the end float as suggested so think I will try replacing the nut first and see how that goes. Now I have about 55 thousands backlash a little better than it was.

I appreciate all the great advice you all gave me. Now to rewire the lathe so it is grounded and then get it leveled up. I hope to be making chips soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, 55 thou of back lash does sound like a worn cross feed nut and maybe screw. Run the cross slide nut to the rear until only two of three screw threads are sticking out of the nut and check back lash again. If it is the same, then all of your wear is in the nut. If it is only a few thou less, then most of the wear is in the nut. If it is significantly less, you also need to replace the screw.

Thanks, I'll check that out tonight after work. Hoping the nut is the main problem since it's a relatively cheap fix. Need to build my my skill set up a bit before I try something like a lead screw.

Just a note to say Yeah! Lathe is finally leveled and working and actually made a few chips tonight. I'm not sure how to type the words that Tim the tool man grunted, but I'm loving it. I really need to replace the cross feed nut and maybe screw but it's still awesome. Now my real learning begins as I could not know much less than I do. Let the journey and mistakes and smiles begin. Again thanks for all your help.

Great to hear John!! You will surprise yourself in no time. Plenty of videos on Youtube ... you just need to wade through the bunk.

Back